Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Healthy Happy Tummy?

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
I tend to worry about everything when it comes to my beloved pets. So just a check up to make sure this is a happy healthy tummy of my leucistic. Now that my second axolotl has arrived Saskia seems overweight with a dark belly compared to the other golden albino. I also want to make sure the dark parts aren't filled with sand since I do have black sand but she also eats dark bloodworms. She eats twice a day and has solid poop. What do ya'll think? How does she look? These are the best photos I could take since she was not going to stop moving for anyone!

Attachments

• DSC04073.JPG
    DSC04073.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC04069.JPG
    DSC04069.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC04068.JPG
    DSC04068.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC04074.JPG
    DSC04074.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC04067.JPG
    DSC04067.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 495
E

Elise

She looks healthy to me. Food will generally turn a darker color as it works it way through the digestive track. If you are concerned with sand, start using a feeding jar. Feeding directly on the sand would cause your axolotls to involuntarily ingest some sand through the vacuum-like method they use to eat. A feeding jar has the added benefit of making blood worms a lot less messy too.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Yeah I use one of those plastic critter keeper containers. I turn it over and Saskia will swim in there and then I scoop her upward and that's how she eats. The new axolotl Sage freaked out over it but it was his first time. :)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Plump, nice gills, good colour...I can't see anything that would concern me, she looks perfectly healthy to me :) Pretty girl too.

layna

Reaction score
As long as her tummy is as wide as her head, shes at a good weight :D

vainglory

Reaction score
She looks healthy to me. Food will generally turn a darker color as it works it way through the digestive track. If you are concerned with sand, start using a feeding jar. Feeding directly on the sand would cause your axolotls to involuntarily ingest some sand through the vacuum-like method they use to eat. A feeding jar has the added benefit of making blood worms a lot less messy too.

My axies actually have a food bowl that they eat from. It helps with the mess too, and what ever falls out usually gets snatched up by little shrimps.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. She is a spoiled little creature. Glad she looks well. Or he...but to me everything is female. :p

E

Elise

It's still going to be a few months before you'll be able to tell the sex. I'm more interested to see how the markings turn out because I love the axolotls with lots of freckles. Is this one of Marige's babies?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1