Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudotriton montanus diastictus setup!

TristanClark

Reaction score
This is my new tank I made for a juvenile midland mud salamander (pseudotriton montanus diastictus). It consist of alot of forest moss, a water dish filled with leaf litter, a rock and a piece of wood with debris under them and burrows connecting everywhere under the substrate. I'll be misting this with cold water and while it may seem like a good setup, I might end up changing it and keeping the mud in something more similar to how I keep P. ruber, more aquatic with alot of debris. so far it's used both the water dish and been burrowed on the terrestrial part equally, but for a more practical setup I might change it, anybody that has any experience with this species or any better ideas for a tank let me know! I'm wanting to end up getting about 4 of these around the same size in a bigger tank in the hopefully not so far away future. I'll have to change the water dish and the leaf litter alot for this one to keep it clean since this species prefers muddy yet clean springs and seeps... so it might not be the most practical setup. but we'll see how things work out with this one for now. Here are some pictures:

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32787-mudsetup.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32785-mymud4.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32786-mymud5.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32784-mymud3.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32782-mud.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32783-mud.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32781-mud.jpg

TristanClark

Reaction score
As I suspected its nowhere to be found, they are so secretive im not surprised, and im fine with it being burrowed down. Not to sure how easy it will be to feed if it's always like that though. In a more aquatic setup it wouldnt be an issue, but since its using the land to I hate to take it away.

TristanClark

Reaction score
Just an update... Made a much more suitable tank for this guy. Here are some pics:

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32859-mudtank.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32860-mudtank1.jpg

This is in the corner under all the moss...
herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32863-hole.jpg

I have noticed it stays under the piece of wood with its head sticking out of a burrow like this
herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32862-mud-burrow.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32861-mudburrow.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32865-mudgravel.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-pseudotriton-montanus-diastictus-picture32864-mudwater.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1