Question: Baby axolotls, help!!!

Smokey0923

Reaction score
Country
United States
So first off i know this is stupid. I didn't realize the brine shrimp eggs would run out so quickly.. So i have eight for 2 more feedings. I'm worried that i won't be able to get more in time :/ is there ANYTHING else i can feed the 1 week old axi babies? Like...really fine crushed up pellets by chance? I don't know but i need a last resort food to go to in case i can't get more brine shrimp eggs..

You can try getting some daphnia - the smaller ones are suitable for week old babies. Green water may also have enough microfauna to sustain them for a few days, but you take a risk because you can't control whats in there.

You could also try crushed pellets or cooked egg yolk, but you'll need to gently swirl the water to mimic movement - week old larvae won't usually be interested in food that doesn't move.

You can try getting some daphnia - the smaller ones are suitable for week old babies. Green water may also have enough microfauna to sustain them for a few days, but you take a risk because you can't control whats in there.

You could also try crushed pellets or cooked egg yolk, but you'll need to gently swirl the water to mimic movement - week old larvae won't usually be interested in food that doesn't move.

I crushed some pellets really small..i hope they'll eat it and maybe I'll even try the egg yolk.. Thank you for you're reply. I'm worried the bbs eggs won't ship on time. The shrimp eggs and daphnia have to be ordered that was the problem. Hopefully they'll take to the pellets and egg yolk. I left last nights brine shrimp too long before harvesting them so last nights shrimp died, i suck at this :/

I crushed some pellets really small..i hope they'll eat it and maybe I'll even try the egg yolk.. Thank you for you're reply. I'm worried the bbs eggs won't ship on time. The shrimp eggs and daphnia have to be ordered that was the problem. Hopefully they'll take to the pellets and egg yolk. I left last nights brine shrimp too long before harvesting them so last nights shrimp died, i suck at this :/

I noticed you live in central florida. Look up Pet Bazaar in casselberry. The last time I was there they has live brine shrimp as well as a packet of eggs to hatch your own.Give them a call and they should be able to tell you.

I noticed you live in central florida. Look up Pet Bazaar in casselberry. The last time I was there they has live brine shrimp as well as a packet of eggs to hatch your own.Give them a call and they should be able to tell you.

I would but Casselberry is much further than the other fish store. The eggs I ordered will bw here by the 25 but I only have 2 nights of eggs left, maybe petco has some for sale? I'll have to look

I would but Casselberry is much further than the other fish store. The eggs I ordered will bw here by the 25 but I only have 2 nights of eggs left, maybe petco has some for sale? I'll have to look

Petco usually has frozen brine shrimp.

Petco usually has frozen brine shrimp.

Frozen food does not move, and tiny axies only react to movement for the first few weeks. And the frozen brineshrimp are adults and too big for tiny babies.

I was able to get some of my new hatchlings to eat chopped live bloodworm while I was waiting for my BBS... And they were straight out of the egg! Just cut them small enough they can't thrash around and hit the babies' gills and u might have luck. U can tell they've drank the blood when the worm turns grey

I've had to use blackworms in a case of bbs hatching failure, and it worked out ok. Ideally, you want to get them on to more nutritious food quickly anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back