Re-designed my newt tank

Kiwibird

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I am new here, so forgive me if I've put this in the wrong category (I'm sure a mod will move it if I have). You have a nice collection of info. and photos on newt setups, so I thought I would add a little about my newts redesigned tank.

I don't know the scientific name, but I have a 'fire belly' newt. I've had him for about 6 years, though he's a bit older than that. I really knew nothing about them when my neighbor was going to flush him (and I took him in of course) and kind of went off what the petstore said to do (bad call, I know). I was told to only have a little water in the tank, lots of plants because they don't swim, keep him in a dimly lit area and feed him frozen bloodworms. They also said he lived 3-5 years, so after living over 5 with us, and making a cross country move, I finally looked more into them and found out they live 20+ years and that I had not been the best carer for the poor creature. After finding this out, I have made some changes. He is now eating 'reptomin' sticks, with bloodworms as a treat and has been moved to a better lit area. As I mentioned earlier, I also redesigned his tank better. I took especial care to pick decor that provided vertical climbing for more usable surface area, a hiding spot and an open area for swimming. Also added a magnetic reptile ledge so the water-level can be higher in the tank than stacked rocks allowed for. Aesthetically speaking, I changed the gravel from multi-colored to black with a few red glass pebbles. I added the overhead LED with daylight/moonlight (really for the moonlights, he seems to sleep during the day), an red LED in the volcano and of course, I built the Tiki cover myself:D The cover lifts off (kind of like a kleenex box cover) for easy feeding/cleaning and has open sides for air-flow and access to the light. There is a mesh screen on top to proven escape and I did fit a piece of clear plastic inside the hole of the volcano so the newt could not swim in it and become stuck. Anyways, heres my tank-

Before Picture:
DSC_3564_zpsb5053665.jpg

Redone (with daylights on):

DSC_4329_zps137e97c5.jpg

DSC_4215_zpsf6ba6f42.jpg

DSC_4217_zpsbb6552a6.jpg

DSC_4278_zpsfabc7d7c.jpg

With moonlights on:

DSC_4235_zps9d61d6c8.jpg

DSC_4260_zpsce375edc.jpg

(The above-water platform)

DSC_4290_zps679e8ed5.jpg

DSC_4301_zps136641a9.jpg

The is how the cover lifts off:

DSC_4335_zpsd04bd81e.jpg

Hi. This is the first newt I've ever had, and I kind of 'rescued' him from being flushed. I never did think he looked like the photos of fire belly newts, so that makes sense. However, he is quite a bit darker than the ones in the link, and does not have the red/orange stripe down his back. I guestimate his length at roughly 4". Thanks for confirming what I already suspected though.

Haven't been on this forum in a while, but those looks more like the newt I have. Who knew there were so many different types of newts? Thanks for the info!

Believe it or not, there are 548 species of salamanders ( according to my calculations ), and that excludes newts, including newts there is 655 species. And that's just newts and salamanders, there are even more frogs and toads! -Seth

I love it! beautiful!:happy:

Believe it or not, there are 548 species of salamanders ( according to my calculations ), and that excludes newts, including newts there is 655 species. And that's just newts and salamanders, there are even more frogs and toads! -Seth

WOW:eek: That's a lot of different types of amphibians! I'm guessing some of the more "advanced" members on here are very into all the rarer species. I've only seen the common ones in the petshop. I've looked around on the forum a bit, but don't have a whole lot to contribute (especially the very "scientifically accurate" sections) since this little guy is the only amphibian I've ever had. There are some cool looking ones out there though.

I love it! beautiful!:happy:

Thanks. It was a fun project and "Mr. Newt" seems to be thriving in this new setup. He's much more active, has been going up on the ledge a lot, and swimming! (which is fun to watch).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back