Question: Babies with stubs for legs :(

gritcracker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Chelsea
I am not sure if it's because mommy and daddy are brother and sister but where some of their legs with the fingers and everything should be are just stubs, do you think this is a lifetime thing or they are just developing slowly?

Attachments

• 10342473_10154204898715075_3709546394678895076_n.jpg
    10342473_10154204898715075_3709546394678895076_n.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 298
How big are they now? It is normal for the legs to start as stubs, then toes develop from there. Mine have fully formed back toes by 2".

Toes should be present on at least the front if the back legs are coming in. Looks like nibbling. Make sure to feed heavily twice a day to avoid this from happening. I usually clean all waste from tank prior to feeding. You can purchase dividers to break your babies into groups by size.

Toes should be present on at least the front if the back legs are coming in. Looks like nibbling. Make sure to feed heavily twice a day to avoid this from happening. I usually clean all waste from tank prior to feeding. You can purchase dividers to break your babies into groups by size.

I was hoping that wasn't the case but I also don't want them to be deformed from the get go

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back