Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bad things are happening and idk why

Azsinderkitty

Reaction score
so laitly my axolotl have been a bit fussy, one of them keeps freeking out, swimming fast into things and almost out of the water, now he has red marks on his tail, idk if the others are nipping at him or if he is hurting himself. out of nowhere one of the axolotl has gotten a cottony fungus on his gills, the others seem very agitated. water test is fine, water keeps below 70, this all came out of nowhere, anybody have any idea what it could be?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Most problems are from water temp, water quality, or over feeding. It is tough to guess what is going on.

Azsinderkitty

Reaction score
I guess it may be over feeding then, because my water quality was fine, and temp stays low, I have 4 in a 33 long aquarium, and do extra water changes and keep a close eye on my tank tests.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Do you think your tank has cycled? Do you have good biological filtration?

Azsinderkitty

Reaction score
tank isn't cycled, they got moved into the new tank about 2 weeks ago. iv got 2 low flow filters with extra carbon and ammonia sponges, and a sponge filter for may air stone. the ammonia is still lower than a dangerous point, and bairly nitrite or nitrate.

Sweetie

Reaction score
When you say 'lower than a dangerous point' and barely any nitrites or nitrates, what are your exact readings? The symptoms you describe sound like high ammonia levels.

Azsinderkitty

Reaction score
I guess, it could be from ammonia, I did a large water change this morning, so hopefully that will help :( my bf does the readings for me, because we lost the color card. I feel like a horrible owner,

ok, now I want to fix the problem, 2 so far have a fungal infection, iv done salt baths before, but I am strongly against them. last time I used pimafix, but only half the dosage, iv started that. but, iv been told that that isn't safe eather, but it fixed my problem last time, without much trouble. any other fixes that are safer?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Salt baths are what you're supposed to use in case of fungi, not pimafix.

I agree with sweetie, it sounds like high aonia reading. The water is so toxic/irritating it's literally trying to jump out. You need to do daily water changes and you need a chart with readings.

Azsinderkitty

Reaction score
meh, ok, ill salt bath them, I just hate it so much because they hate it. ill try to make up a chart.
how much water change per day?

HayleyK

Reaction score
That's why you need a chart to read your test levels. If it's something ridiculous like 4ppm ammonia then you would need a huge water change. If it was 1ppm then not as much. You change water volume according to your readings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1