Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is he sick?

Skudo09

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My turn to post here. I hope I am just being paranoid but I have noticed my Wildtype has been acting unusual for a few days or so. He has been eating until today. I am not overly concerned that he didn't eat as he does have the odd day here and there he just doesn't want anything but he freaked out majorly zooming around the tank each time I went remotely near him but also didn't seem to be swimming quite right. He is resting oddly too.

Their parameters seem all in check - ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ~20, PH 7.5 and temperature is 15.5C. They are in a tank with sand. The best description is that he looks weighted down when swimming and he basically just rests his chest on the ground and almost like he is not weight bearing on this legs, particularly his front legs. I never feed them directly on the sand, I hand feed them earthworms from my worm farm. I can't think of anything that has changed. I have attached a picture although it is not the best quality. Could it possibly be sand impaction? He doesn't appear bloated or floating in any way at all. I am probably being paranoid but I have never had an axolotl act like this before and I am a worry wort when it comes to my pets.

I appreciate any suggestions, advice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 156

Skudo09

Reaction score
phew! Turns out I think I was just being paranoid. After a week of acting strange and looking like he was weighted down he has returned to normal :)

Skudo09

Reaction score
It may have been I guess but will probably never know. But he is back to normal so all is good :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1