With a little modification, this would make a great tank chiller!

Where did you come across this out of interest? Or what did you search for on the internet, might have a little look

I didn't really search for anything. I was browsing my subscriptions on YouTube. The guy's channel is called HouseholdHacker.

I have axolotls so this is my thinking of setup modification for them: Could you maybe put a hole with tubing near the bottom of the cooler to drip the melted ice (assuming it's dechlorinated ice) and let the cold water drip in the tank? And you wouldn't need the fan on the top of the cooler if it is just dripping water and not blowing air. If the ice is in a cooler, the melt rate might not be too fast and the tank water temp might not change too quickly, which is a good thing! With the fans on my tank now for cooling, the evaporation is pretty fast but would have to monitor if it would be enough to compensate for the added water volume. And I would worry about stryofoam bits possibly getting in the tank so maybe using a hard plastic cooler instead? Thoughts?

It would probably be easier to just gradually put frozen water bottles in the tank. -Seth

It would probably be easier to just gradually put frozen water bottles in the tank. -Seth

Agreed. Much easier, But could fluctuate the temperatures dramatically depending on tank size. I have also seen this video but never thought about it for this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back