Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt traps/ salamander traps

Snakes0415

Reaction score
Hi guys I've heard of people setting salamander traps/newt traps. So I was wondering can these hurt the animal? Do they work? What is the best trap to make? And by the way I live in michigan.

Neil C

Reaction score
I guess a pitfall trap could work for terrestrial salamanders/newts. Trapping adults in a aquatic environment is a bit trickier as they need to come up to breathe so they could easily drown in a submerged trap.

Regards Neil

Snakes0415

Reaction score
I saw one way to make an aquatic trap where they took a bucket and put the cone part of a soda bottle in it and put pool noodles at the top so only the top part floated.

sde

Reaction score
I used to use "funnel traps" to catch aquatic herps, but I don't do it anymore because of the reason Neil pointed out. Its just not safe.

Pitfall trapping is a affective way to catch caudata's, but you may need to check with your state/county on if it is legal.

caleb

Reaction score
I've used bottle traps and mesh funnel traps to trap newts- experience of trapping is a prerequisite for getting a licence to work with crested newts in the UK.

Bottle traps are usually made by cutting the end off a plastic bottle, and inverting it to make a funnel-shaped opening. They need to be secured in the pond, and to have a large air reservoir inside them so anything that's trapped can breathe.

Similarly, mesh traps should not be completely submerged, so anything that's trapped can reach the surface to breathe.

I've never seen an asphyxiated newt in a trap. It's more likely in hot weather, if the trap is left for a long time, or if there are a lot of animals in one trap. I have seen a couple killed by fish that were caught alongside them.

Pitfall trapping is usually done with drift fencing to direct animals into the traps, and traps often have 'mammal ladders' (usually just a stick) to allow mammals to escape. They're sometimes covered to minimise bird predation.

Snakes0415

Reaction score
I've used bottle traps and mesh funnel traps to trap newts- experience of trapping is a prerequisite for getting a licence to work with crested newts in the UK.

Bottle traps are usually made by cutting the end off a plastic bottle, and inverting it to make a funnel-shaped opening. They need to be secured in the pond, and to have a large air reservoir inside them so anything that's trapped can breathe.

Similarly, mesh traps should not be completely submerged, so anything that's trapped can reach the surface to breathe.

I've never seen an asphyxiated newt in a trap. It's more likely in hot weather, if the trap is left for a long time, or if there are a lot of animals in one trap. I have seen a couple killed by fish that were caught alongside them.

Pitfall trapping is usually done with drift fencing to direct animals into the traps, and traps often have 'mammal ladders' (usually just a stick) to allow mammals to escape. They're sometimes covered to minimise bird predation.

So have you had much luck with pitfall traps?

caleb

Reaction score
I've never tried it myself, though I have seen some in use.

The most common way it's used here is by putting up a fence around a breeding pond, with pitfall traps at intervals on each side. This will catch (pretty much) all the newts going to or from that pond- this is used when relocating great crested newts from development sites.

I wouldn't have thought random pitfall traps would catch much- you would need something to direct newts or salamanders into it. They'd also only be useful during the season when the animals were actively moving about.

Jake

Reaction score
Window wells and storm drains act as pitfall traps. Just be sure to get permission before checking strangers' window wells, they might not like you getting up close and personal with their houses...

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Pitfall traps need to be checked everyday to prevent the animals from drying out and dying

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!