White spots :(

Bradsnow

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and also new to owning an axolotl so I was wondering what is wrong with my little guy and if he's going to be okay. His gills are really small and mainly white. I've only had him for 5 days now and that's how he looked when I bought him. I thought it was because he was young and his gills haven't grown or got any colour yet, but apparently not?.. I was wondering if his gills would grow back and get colour again? He's eating fine and he seems fine overall but I'm not sure. He doesn't swim, all he does is crawl on the bottom but he does move a lot. Plus he's eating fine :) if I didn't look up thy white spots were bad he would seem completely healthy to me, any help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 189
The picture is a bit unclear, but I think what you're seeing are iridophores (sparkly pigments). Shine flashlight on them. If they sparkle, they are iridophores, part of his natural pigment, and nothing to worry about. It will take a while for his gill filaments to grow back, so I wouldn't worry too much about that for now. Get a water test kit and make sure you are keeping ammonia and nitrite at zero, and nitrate under 40. Keep the water nice and cool and his gills will be looking healthy pretty soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back