Question: AuntieJude and everyone else what colour am I please

Flee

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ok this is Diesel the last one I have no idea what colour he is.

He has dark eyes with no gold ring but they have a center . He is similar to my copper but is a cream undertone.

The last Pic has the copper next it as well just so you can see the difference between them.

Sorry my photo’s are not the best my camera is dying I need a new one asap.

Thanks for looking and your input,

Felicity

Attachments

• Axolotl 016.jpg
    Axolotl 016.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Axolotl 015.jpg
    Axolotl 015.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Axolotl 012.jpg
    Axolotl 012.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Axolotl 010.jpg
    Axolotl 010.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 196
Looks like another copper to me (but I am not an expert at all at genetics and colours of axolotls so others can confirm or correct me if I am wrong :))

I reckon he's a copper and with what you told me about where he came from, they're possibly/probably siblings.

That would be awesome :happy: but Could I really be that lucky??

That would be awesome :happy: but Could I really be that lucky??

Yes if the eggs came from the same batch, but you'd need to consider whether it's a good idea to breed them due to inbreeding.

Yes - red eyes, light brown spots - it's a copper! Just like all the other colours, coppers can come in light and dark, heavily marked or more sparse markings.

I wish I could get my hands on a couple of these...

I think it should be fine the 2 coppers we are talking about are both males so the chances of them breeding are zero lol.

and the other 2 who I was told are from the same batch as the coppers are the girls which are the Leucistic and grey/purple melanoid which we didnt think were from the same batch?

Unless Auntiejude you think I could get all the above 4 from the same batch?

Well, since the genetics of coppers are still not completely understood I'd say it was quite possible to get coppers, leucistics and melanoids from the same parents. What si certain is that it's a simple recessive, and doesn't appear to be linked to any other colour genes.

If your 2 coppers are boht male it will only take 2 breeding cycles to establish a good copper line:
I'll call your copper axie boys A and B
Breed A with girl X - any colour
All of these babies will be het for copper, regardless of their colouring
Take a female from this generation and breed her with B.
This should give you a good proportion of copper babies

To establish another line, breed B with any female Y, and then cross a female from this group of babies with A.

Make sure that females X and Y are not related to each other, or A and B.

Then take 2 coppers from the 2nd generation - male and female, and you should end up with 100% copper babies that aren't too badly inbred.

You could also take your chances with crossing the F1 generation for more genetic diversity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back