Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Not sure what the problem is

CinnabarMoss

Reaction score
Hi guys, about a fortnight ago I posted a thread about my axie that was not moving and had a bulge on one side. Well, he has been in the fridge at about 6-7 degrees for three weeks now and the bulge has gone, but he still isn't moving.

His gills seem to have shrunk a vast amount to almost nothing, his face has gone very red, and it looks like his mucus layer has begun to come off around the head area. He doesn't respond to touch at all, but shows no sign of decay (except maybe the mucus), so I think he is alive.

His mouth seems to be a little open as though there is something lodged in there and has been like this for a while (unsure how long), showing no sign of passing or care. He hasn't eaten in about a month, so I have no idea what is wrong.

Does anyone have any idea? I'll upload a few pictures once I figure out how to on an iPad

CinnabarMoss

Reaction score
I think these should be them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 178

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Question. How often were you changing the water while he was in the fridge?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I would take your axie out of the fridge and let him slowly warm up to room temp and see if he responds to touch. He might not want to eat anything while fridged, and an open mouth can be a sign of distress. He may be happier once warmed up.

CinnabarMoss

Reaction score
Alright, thanks auntiejude. Should I move him into a tank once warmed up or just warm him up and keep him in the tub for a while?

CinnabarMoss

Reaction score
So I have taken him out of the fridge (though he is still in his tub), and he has warmed up to about 16-17 degrees. He makes no response to touch, and his mouth remains open. I put a small worm in in front of him and he took no interest in it at all.

Is there anything else I can do?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!