Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Losing gills

Finley

Reaction score
So my juvenile axie suddenly lost the frills on his gills. I moved yesterday to my college dorm and brought my axie with me. Before the move his gills were fine. The drive was only about an hour long and the first thing I did was set up his temporary "tank" (big plastic container until his real tank is cycled). Today when I was doing a water change (100%) I noticed the frills were a lot shorter than they were before. I don't think there's anything wrong with the water as there are others who also keep aquatic pets. So could he lose the frills because of the stress from moving?

Finley

Reaction score
No one has any ideas?
How long does it usually take for the frills to grow back?

allied123

Reaction score
honestly I've had my two in some rough moving adventures twice already and they're both juvies and didn't have any frill loss or shrinkage so it really sounds like water chemistry to me and I suggest testing your water to be sure.

That being said I don't really know for sure that the stress from moving WOULDN'T cause him to lose his frills but it shouldn't take too long for them to grow back. As gruesome as a couple of the pictures are in the neglected axies post there are a couple before and after pictures and its only been a couple weeks and 2 of those poor guys grew back a lot of their gills so I don't think it would take too long for your guy's to grow back :)

good luck and be sure to check your water chemistry!

Finley

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have been testing the water. Actually went out and bought another testing kit just to be sure it was working right and got the exact same results. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0. PH is 7.2.
Other than the gills everything seems fine. Though after the move he did refuse to eat which was a bit weird for him because usually he'll eat anything and everything I give him. But that was only for a day and now he has eaten a couple of worms so I'm pretty sure it was just stress.

allied123

Reaction score
Sounds like it! keep up with the water changes, and it sounds like they should grow back pretty quick, if possible you might want to keep the temperature down a little more than usual, this usually helps when they need to regenerate things. Sorry I couldn't help with a time estimate but they all grow at different rates too I'm sure so good luck and maybe comment back with how long it did take them to grow back! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1