Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Relentless Water Changes and No Results

Silver5101

Reaction score
I have been at it with this tank for a whole month now, the ammonia levels read 4.0 which I know is super high, I used ammolock to detoxify the ammonia. But, I do water changes and literally the reading doesn't change I don't know what to do... So, I'm turning to you guys because these daily 40% water changes are not helping me out at all. They still are eating and I clean up their poop whenever I clean. What do I need to do to fix this mess I've created. I have bamboo, a marimo, and a plant in here. I just don't know...

Cacique

Reaction score
What kind of filter media do you use in your filter? Are the plants doing good or do they look like they're dying?

The only thing I can advice right now would be to do a bigger water change to see if that helps, maybe as close to 100% as you can? Also if you use regular filter cartridges with carbon that could be screwing up with your cycling. I use filter floss/quilt batting and a pre-filter sponge or sponge in the filter too for more biological media.

Also, do you have any substrate? My sand would get quite dirty so gravel-vaccuming it works great there. I would also check near the plants and under rocks and decor/hides to see if there's any missed poop or food that could have been thrown up or missed.

Silver5101

Reaction score
I have a Tetra Whisper 20i so yes, it's carbon based. The problem I have with sponge filters is that the air pumps make so much noise. My plant is budding with new leaves, and I have black sand on the bottom that's a pretty thin layer. My tank is a 20 gallon long tank with 3 axolotls.

keiko

Reaction score
Are your axies in the tank? They need to come out right away. If the ammonia is 4 ppm it's very toxic to them. It's best to cycle the tank without axies in it so they won't be harmed and you can let the ammonia get pretty high -> the cycle is ready faster.

DiscusDream

Reaction score
You don't have to use a SPONGE FILTER..... just sponge inserts IN your filter. If you have a sponge filter, you can use a tiny power head to run it with a spray bar to diffuse the current. That would solve the noisy air problem. Or, you can put porous biological media in your filter or in a filter bag and lay it in your tank. (I would name them, but there are so many kinds!!!) You can even get some that are already in little bags that may fit inside your filter.

The point is, you need somewhere for your bacteria to grow and multiply. The more surface you have for the bacteria to grow on, the better. Sponges are GREAT For that since they have so much surface area throughout.

Silver5101

Reaction score
I have taken out my axies and they are in a tupperware container. Now what should I do with the tank? Should I change the filter as it's really gross and my whole tank is covered in white stringy (bacteria?) stuff.

DiscusDream

Reaction score
I would try just wiping things down inside, making the "stuff" free-float in the water, then use a siphon to clean it out, if it bothers you. Personally, I would leave it since the axies aren't in there, and see how the water parameters change over the next few days. The more you clean, the longer the cycle takes.

Silver5101

Reaction score
Good news is that they are still eating in their temporary home, each of them ate a sill earthworm each :happy: Now, it's just a waiting game.

Xtophr

Reaction score
But, I do water changes and literally the reading doesn't change I don't know what to do...

If you test the water parameters, remove half the water and replace it with clean, treated water, and then test a few minutes afterwards, the levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates should be half of what they were a few minutes prior. If that's not the case, something is amiss in the process or the test kit.

Then, as time goes on, those levels will rise again (which will necessitate another water change) until the biological filter is established. The more water you have per axie, the less often and/or less water you'll need to change out.

Are you reading any levels of nitrites or nitrates?

Without introducing previously seeded tank filter material, it will usually take more than a month to complete a fish-in tank cycle. Maybe several months. Fish-in cycling usually also is done with a lightly stocked tank, versus an overstocked one.

Cacique

Reaction score
I would recommend forgetting about the filter inserts, they're pretty pointless and a waste of money. I don't have the same filter as you, I have Tetra Whisper ones in most of my tanks. I used filter floss where the carbon insert is and put a filter sponge over the open intake hole, so it uses the pre-filter sponge instead of it's cover.

Another option is just to put a piece of sponge, you can buy any aquarium sponge and just cut it to fit and stick it in where the filter cartridge goes.

mewsie

Reaction score
If that's not the case, something is amiss in the process or the test kit.

Excellent point.

Have you tested fresh dechlorinated water? Could be your test kit or your water that's the problem!

Cacique

Reaction score
I also forgot to ask; how is the bamboo plant? I've read in several places that they're not fully aquatic, so it could be dying maybe if it's fully underwater and messing with your water quality? If it is submerged, you could try raising it so that the top of it is outside of the water.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
After doing a little more research I realized that while I use the "lucky bamboo" that it's not actually a true bamboo but is semi aquatic. The leaves need to be out of the water to grow. Any other bamboo will rot.

Cacique

Reaction score
Does that mean the bamboo you have is not the lucky bamboo you see in all the pet stores? Sorry just making sure I got that clear lol.

I had constantly seen these little bamboo at all the stores and wanted some but I don't like the idea of an open top tank too much.

If you were interested, I find water sprite I think it's called to look quite a bit like a miniature version of bamboo.

bugdozer

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why the ammonia level is going up so high in the first place. I'd expect three axxies in a 20 gallon tank with no filtration at all to put the ammonia up to no more than 2.0 in a day, maximum*. Yet yours is double that. Maybe you need to cut down on the feeding as well?
*based on my experience of having to temporarily keep mine in uncycled tanks.

Silver5101

Reaction score
I've been feeding once a day for a while now to try to cut down. My bamboo is only partially submerged the top is sticking out meanwhile the bottom is buried in the sand. I got it from Petco. I've had my axies out for 2 days now and I tested my ammonia levels without them in it and it's reading higher now. I'm thinking I just need to clean out the whole tank.

Cacique

Reaction score
Quite confusing. I would try doing a large water change, maybe remove your axie and put in a separate tank and do like 80% water change. I'd say 100% but you have live plants. Maybe do that and test and see if that does anything?

I think I already asked this, but did you flip decor around and dig through all that to see if there was any food or poop that might have gotten pushed under something?

Silver5101

Reaction score
I decided to take almost everything out and wash it in some of the water I took out, I stirred all of the sand around in the tank and it is now murky and I'm unable to see anything. The axies have been out of the tank for 2 days. There has also been a lot of stringy white (slime?) coming out of everything and stuck on everything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1