The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Old 20th August 2014   #1
Keith
(Snakes0415)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Snakes0415 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Releasing blue spotted salamanders?

I have 13 blue spotted salamanders that I caught behind my house in a vernal pool when they where still in the larve stage. The vernal pool was extremely close to drying up. It was to the point where I could see the backs of the larvaes. But anyways all 13 of them are now on land and feeding normally on crickets, bloodworms, and chopped up night crawlers. I try to let them catch their own food as much as possible. But now I don't have enough space to keep them all and was wondering if I could let them go back by the vernal pool which is now full. So if someone could help me out that'd be great .

Snakes0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015   #2
Tim S

Nationality:
Rep: Tim S has started on the right path
Default Re: Releasing blue spotted salamanders?

You are asking the wrong people. This is a question for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. The main concern is if you have exposed your salamanders to disease organism that might be transmitted to native wild life.

Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017   #3
bhill368

Nationality:
Rep: bhill368 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Releasing blue spotted salamanders?

Definitely contact your DNR and they will tell you the best way to go about that. It would really be unfortunate to introduce something to the local population.

bhill368 is offline   Reply With Quote