Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha torosa

velasco13000

Reaction score
Hello I recently got a group of 6 torosas.. I had a few questions. The previous keeper had kept them terrestrially, are torosas more aquatic or terrestrial. Second question is that they are not eating too well. The previous keeper only handled them, but they aren't accepting much food and they might not be used to hunting for their own food. Any suggestions?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Let them acclimate if you just got them. Once they get used to the change they should start eating if nothing is wrong with them. If you've had them for a few weeks and they haven't eaten then try different food items. Sometimes changing tanks or setups will drastically change a newts behavior. Especially going from aquatic to land and vise versa.

You did mention they were kept terrestrial. Did you change to an aqua setup? From my experience they were very terrestrial. But living habits and preferences differ from population to population. Just offer land and water and see what they prefer.

huug

Reaction score
Hi,

Torosa are terrestrial newts. They only hit the water in breedingseason if they were given the choice. A small bowl of water in the terrestrial tank is always good.

What 's typical about Taricha species, is that in comparison to most newtspecies, they like relatively smaller prey. So dont feed them big nightcrawlers or full size crickets etc. Small prey will trigger them most. Allso,..if they cannot hide enough, they might be stressed and not eat well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1