Strange Type of Axolotl found

Murphy family

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went to a pet store, and to my surprise, they had two axolotls in there. One was leucistic and I was told the other was a cinnamon axolotl. It was like a leucistic, but slightly like a golden and had yellow eyes. I had never heard of this and can anyone tell me what this is?

Copper axolotl. They are believed to be a type of albino but have more of the reddish xanthophores which is why their eyes are not black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i could be wrong but arent coppers suppose to be rare of some sorts?

i could be wrong but arent coppers suppose to be rare of some sorts?

Eh depends on where you're looking. They are just like any other morph where two copper parents can produce hundreds of babies each laying so all it takes is a few individuals and a year or two and all of sudden there are coppers in that region. The US doesn't have that many coppers but they are out there.

So cinnamon axolotl is actually copper. I thought it might have been a mix of leucistic and golden albino, so thanks for the clarification on that.

If you get them, post a pic, I want to see that! :D

If it's like a golden albino but lighter, then it is just a golden albino....coppers are distinctly brownish and can hardly be said to be like a leucistic but slightly like a golden.

Sounds more like a golden albino to me too. Leucistics can some times be quite yellow too (maybe because of their diet or something?), but they still have the same eyes as normal leucistics. Coppers (European) have the gold ring in their eyes, but the middle part is dark with a red glow. Coppers can be quite yellow, but also always have darker brown spots. I'll attach a picture of my copper.

Attachments

• 2014-09-30 18.25.51.jpg
    2014-09-30 18.25.51.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 2014-09-30 18.25.40.jpg
    2014-09-30 18.25.40.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 161
If it's like a golden albino but lighter, then it is just a golden albino....coppers are distinctly brownish and can hardly be said to be like a leucistic but slightly like a golden.

Yes, that is what I thought, just was not sure. I think it is a golden that has slightly different coloring.

Cinnamon axolotl just sounds like one of the new made up names for axolotl colors. A lot of new names for old color phases are being thrown around. It sounds like a marketing ploy.

Cinnamon axolotl just sounds like one of the new made up names for axolotl colors. A lot of new names for old color phases are being thrown around. It sounds like a marketing ploy.

Absolutely, I've seen neon salamander (gfp leucistic), highlighter (golden), white (albino) mostly from the same lfs that keeps them with acfs, fish and gravel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back