Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Kaiser Newts

jimmies1974

Reaction score
I have 6 Kaiser newts and had them about 3 months now. When will they grow out of there gills? When will they go up to land?

Attachments

• 1413472853368.jpg
    1413472853368.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 1413472873583.jpg
    1413472873583.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 242

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Losing their gills and morphing can be very variable. It depends among other things, on their age, food availability, water temperature and stocking density. Light stocking with good food availability and low temps will usually prolong the larval stage, whereas heavy stocking, with less food and high temps will often make them morph at a very small/young age.
It's a good sign that they are taking a while to change, the bigger they are when they do, the easier to care for and feed they'll be as terrestrial juveniles

jimmies1974

Reaction score
I have a question in breeding Kaiser newts. Do I start lowering the temperature to 45° in December then upping the temperature in March?
When I get eggs do I put them in a small container ? How do I keep the eggs healthy?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1