2 in 1 Tank

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Here are some pictures of a tank I have been working on, it's an old filtration tank with two sections. The left hand side I have started to setup ready for Californian Newts Taricha torosa, the right hand side is for Marbled Salamanders Ambystoma opacum.

I still have to make the lid for the tank and add some logs and pond weed to the Californian newts side.

I can't wait till it's all finished and I can put them in. :happy:

Please do let me know if there is anything I could remove or add to improve it.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

Logan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love the setups and the tank design. I hope to build something very similar in due time. I think the slope will do great for the opacum and probably increase your chances at breeding by having that depression. Very good work! My only question is how sturdy is the shoreline for the Taricha? Other than that I cant wait to see it planted.
Logan

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks i think there is a few things that i will add over time. For the slope I used bricks to get the height and then made the slope by adding medium and large pebbles. Then finally pouring the gravel over the top.

Logan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any updates? Excited to see the newts and sallys in their new homes
Logan

Lamb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really nice set up. I am curious, what are the labels for? Is this a lab or maybe a teaching set up?

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are my species husbandry labels with basic information on husbandry requirements. They are for people that cover my area, so they can refer to them when I am away from Slimbridge.

Kind Regards
Jay

alove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Love your tanks. Where did you get the enclosure for them, or did you make them?

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used an old filter tank that was used for a large fish tank. I had to add bits to it to make it escape proof.

Kind regards
Jay

bdunbar12

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Brit
this is awesome! i was actually thinking about crafting a tank like this myself a couple days ago and then i saw your post. great minds do think alike ;) probably a dumb question, but do the diff species of newts ever press themselves against the glass and look into the other habitat?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1