2010 Caudata.org/AArk Grant: Preliminary Poll

Cast a vote for which application should receive the grant (READ ALL BEFORE VOTING!)

• Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) habitat preference within conservation refuges

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A Comparison of Amphibian Communities between Natural Ponds and Constructed Ponds of Multiple Age Cl

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Uncovering Genetic Diversity of a Salamander Species Restricted to a Critically Threatened Habitat

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • The Southern Appalachian Ethno-habitat: Cryptobranchus alleganiensis and Cherokee Cultural Factors a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rapid adaptation in an island population of Salamandra salamandra

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Recovery of Salamander species in Jiwani Coastal belt District Gwadar Balochistan

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Ecology, distribution and conservation of the Himalayan Salamander, Tylototriton verrucosus

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The applications for the 2010 Caudata.org/Amphibian Ark grant have been received. There are 7 grant applications. This year, we are allowing everyone to vote. Please note that we are looking for informed decisions, so please do not choose until you have read all the applications. The applications appear as attachments to this message (see below).

The Applications
Please read the applications before casting your vote.

1. Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) habitat preference within conservation refuges
  2. A Comparison of Amphibian Communities between Natural Ponds and Constructed Ponds of Multiple Age Classes: Evaluating Conservation and Mitigation Implications
  3. Uncovering Genetic Diversity of a Salamander Species Restricted to a Critically Threatened Habitat (Eurycea aquatica)
  4. The Southern Appalachian Ethno-habitat: Cryptobranchus alleganiensis and Cherokee Cultural Factors as Healthy Ecosystem Indicators.
  5. Rapid adaptation in an island population of Salamandra salamandra
  6. Recovery of Salamander species in Jiwani Coastal belt District Gwadar Balochistan, Pakistan
  7. Ecology, distribution and conservation of the Himalayan Salamander, Tylototriton verrucosus

Attachments

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I put in a corrected version of the PDF for 'Tverrucosus'. The conversion from .doc to .pdf had corrupted one line, which is now fixed.

The 'Axolotl_habitat' file also contains a truncation of the Budget section, but it is not complete in any of the files I received.

If anyone notices any other problems with the PDFs, let me know.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We've only had 9 votes cast so far. I believe that the time frame for voting is rather short, so please read and vote, if you plan to.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
This poll will close in the next 24 hours. FYI.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
After some back and forth discussions, we decided to choose the Eurycea aquatica project (proposal number 3 in the above list) over the Constructed Ponds and Tylototriton verrucosus projects. Thank you to everyone who applied and who voted. We'll be doing this again in the new year.

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eric
Well darnit, I would have supported an Axolotl research project no matter what the cost.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
As I have informed the applicants who were not chosen, the winning proposal was chosen because their project was judged to have the most conservation value specific to caudates, with a tangible research goal and the clearest peer-reviewed publishing plan. This is not to say that the other proposals were not valuable research but unfortunately we can only award a single grant each year. We (the folks who run Caudata.org) consult the members of the site for their opinion and then we review the proposals ourselves, often with outside scientific consultation with scientific experts in the field, and then we make an informed decision. Our top 3 were the Tylototriton verrucosus project, the Constructed Ponds project and the Eurycea aquatica project. It was very difficult to choose between the 3 but in the end we decided on the Eurycea aquatica project based on the criteria I have just mentioned. I know we all hate to disappoint the others but at least there will be a 2011 grant and I have invited all of the applicants to apply again.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eric
Oh snap, I didn't realize this was Uconn grant. Glad to see it was awarded to someone in my homestate.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow that was quick! I was on vacation and didn't even see this poll start and finish!

Congrats to Beth though, I'm sure she'll use it wisely :)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
We're waiting on the progress report from Elizabeth. I sent her an email a few months back and got no response.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl owner2020: I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget. +1