Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

20L Neurergus Kaiseri Build

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
So I purchased a new 20L aquarium at the petco sale to build a paludarium for my 3 Neurergus Kaiseri that are currently in a 10 gallon temporary setup.

My biggest question is how to use the great stuff i used for my dart frog vivariums background safe to be submerged in water? I am also thinking about using some cork bark to like the examples i have shown I heard of ppl using gorilla glue to?

Here are a few pictures i found of the idea of the scaping but just need a few ideas on how to achieve it. Any input would be great!!

I added a picture of the newts and their current setup too

Attachments

• 8_paludarium2.jpg
    8_paludarium2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 16,751
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,816
  • mio1s.jpg
    mio1s.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 3,630
  • fb01l.jpg
    fb01l.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,818
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,104
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,426

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
Thanks! I was looking for some build descriptions of the pics i found. Love the second one build with the dark substrate in the 20 gallon. I think i might use a small internal filter i have instead of using the spray bar.

sde

Reaction score
My biggest question is how to use the great stuff

Great stuff has to be sealed with water sealant when it is going to be used in wet conditions. If you want to paint it, then paint it first, and then add the sealant. Krylon spray water sealant is ( or was the last time I heard ) the choice of a very good palladium builder.

otolith

Reaction score
I've kind of dreamt of doing a tank similar to the last one pictured ever since I drove through Kentucky and Missouri.

I picture a creek section flowing into a deeper section. I am currently in the same sort of planning phase as you for my N. crocatus.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I think the easiest way to create this would be to silicone cork bark to the back of the tank in different positions (I think this has already been mentioned?) and then filled with compost or gravel to grow plants in. This is how I could do it anyway. There are other ways of creating these kind of features, with expanding foam etc. but these can sometimes collapse and leach chemical into the water. Thinking about it, 20 litres is quite small to keep 3 newts in, it's only about 5 gallons. Is this maybe a typo, did you mean 20 gallons which is plenty big enough and would be a great size to make a nice feature in. I must say your newts are absolutely stunning.

Stuart

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
I was thinking about going that same route and not using great stuff like I do in my dart frog vivariums. It is a 20 gallon Long aquarium, sorry i was unclear about that in the description. Hoping to get in started in the near future when i complete my 24"x18x18 eco terra build for my trio of green sipaliwini tincs.

I just included some pics go my frogs. There is one of my green sips and another of my standard imitator transporting a tadpole that sadly didn't make since they are just now starting to breed. Also there is a pic of my temp setup for the green sips that is a natural vivarium in a big plastic tub i customized.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 561
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 548
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 449

jimmies1974

Reaction score
That is beautiful. I wish i could do a tank like that. I have 6 Kaiser newts and I get excited to see them every day when I get home from work

Stupot1610

Reaction score
It is a 20 gallon Long aquarium, sorry i was unclear about that in the description.
Sorry, it was more my mistake, being British I am unfamiliar with gallons and gallon longs. I now think I understant this, though!
Your Dartfrogs are fantastic.

Stuart

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
Trying to figure out some options for substrate. I really like the dark substrate look with the Kaiseri colors. I dont really like the black sand look and was curious if anybody had any experience with Fluval Stratum or Carib Sea Kon Tiki and Blue Ridge. I posted some pics of each.

Attachments

• fluval-stratum-xl.jpg
    fluval-stratum-xl.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2,278
  • substrate_kontiki.png
    substrate_kontiki.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,084
  • substrate_blueridge.png
    substrate_blueridge.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 821

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
Would Quikcrete play sand be ok to use? I see there varying in size grains that look a little too big?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 526

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always use play sand in my set ups with no problems at all. I don't have Kaisei, but my Cynops soon learned to pick up live or dead food without getting any in their mouths. It's old for young kids to play with so you can be sure there's nothing nasty in it.

Last edited:

otolith

Reaction score
I used the fluval stratum in a planted tank and really liked it. It does take a good week for the particulates to settle out and the water to clear (even with filtration). I thought impaction could be a risk but the granules crush very easily and large and small animals alike never had any issues. The dark substrate coupled with nice LED lighting was a really beautiful combination, especially when the Alpine Newt males were in full breeding dress.

The downsides for me are that it is quite expensive and tank cleaning is a bit difficult. The particles are so small that using a gravel vacuum ends up taking away your very expensive substrate and clouds the tank. All that aside, I would use it again.

I've never used the other two, but just looked at them on their site. The Kon Tiki is the perfect size to cause major impaction problems (1-3mm) so I wouldn't use it purely because of that. The Blue Ridge at 3-10mm is better but the low end of the range is trouble. Safest thing would be to just use sand and large rocks.

Last edited:

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! Thanks for finding the grain sizes Perry! I was really worried about impaction but seems like everybody has had good experience with play sand!

otolith

Reaction score
I never had any issues with the Fluval substrate, I had to break the tank down for a cross country move and it didn't' make the trip. I have wanted to use it again but the price has prevented me so far. If I can find a deal on it I'll use it again for sure.

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
I'm really liking the dark look for the tank substrate but hard to find a substrate that is too big and can cause impaction. Would Flourite black sand be ok? I heard it raises the Iron levels too much in the water and Ph swings?

velasco13000

Reaction score
Bare bottom IMO is the best...its easy to clean...and almost no chances of them getting impacted. Yeah these set ups look pretty but a bare bottom set up can look pretty also :)

whiteblaze11

Reaction score
I am planning on using a piece of slate from my dads aquarium to put in one corner almost like a feeding station to prevent swallowing of sand, much like when people use dishes to feed their newts. It will be surrounded by some rocks to prevent sand from entering and food from easily leaving the area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1