Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2nd Spawning of Arborea

vincent

Reaction score
Hi all first of all apologies all round as I have just got the laptop back from being repaired 7 days became 16 for a small repair :mad: but I have got it back!
Right I spawned the Hyla arborea again two weeks ago a smaller amount than previously but still a good number of tads.The spawn was dispatched to friends who have been waiting for some after 3 days so that I could check the viabilty of the spawn and they were getting embryos and not a lot of duff spawn. The tads I have from the first spawning are doing well and getting quite big.I have them in four large plastic tubs filled with Elodea and a sponge filter in each tank. They are under strong light from U/V tubes, and fed flake fish food for the first two weeks,then I started to use catfish sinker pellets , now I'm using floating carnivore fish sticks as the largest tads spend a lot of time at the surface and are feeding in a frenzid manner. big tads mean big froglets easier to feed. On a lighter note as I was outside checking my outdoor vivs I found a male Hyla arborea, he's been outside since last June with no ill effects and down to a temp of minus 9C so they are ideally suited for greenhouse cultivation in the UK without worry .I know they are subjected to extreme temps in Europe but you dont always want to risk it. Hope this helps :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Vincent, and congratulations on the good news!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1