3d background build.

emmyk

New member
Joined
Jun 17, 2013
Messages
450
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Seattle wa
Country
United States
Alright. I'm not as talented as y'all but I'm doing my first 3d background. Any tips? I'll show my progress as I go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
 
ugujabu6.jpg
e2e4upa5.jpg
nezyvyda.jpg
za7ahy8a.jpg

my steps so far :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
 
huqysedy.jpg
eta4uban.jpg

first coat.
emy9a5y4.jpg

adding some shading.
sa7e5etu.jpg

Adding some red.
yjyhybyz.jpg
e4arydaj.jpg
e9a9umar.jpg

Product so far . Added beige too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
Looks like it is coming along. Keep up the good work. :) what are you going to do for hides?
 
The right side has a cave !:) it just needs to be siliconed against the wall. Only Stanley will be in there:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
I have a few questions on this.

The first is what do you use for paint?

And the second is, how does it not float? Do you silicone it to the glass?

Looks great! Really nice build. I really want to try something like this sometime.
 
Its just drylok with concrete dye mixed in for different colours.
I'm going to slather it in silicone and hope to goodness that it doesn't float. That's what other people do but this stuff if bouyant!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
OK cool, thanks!

No problem! Its really fun! Would be good for a semi aquatic tank because you could make ledges for them to be on :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
Yes, it would be wouldn't it. I wish I would have thought to make something like this before I made my C. e. ensicauda tank....ugh.
Well, maybe when I get some T. verrucosus in the fall.

Also, I am wondering what type of foam you used? Is it some kind of special foam? Or just regular Styrofoam? Cause I thought that foam wasn't supposed to be safe for tanks? http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...aria-enclosures.html?highlight=safe+materials As listed in here. -Seth
 
Its waterproof insulation foam sheets.completely safe :) and if it wasn't, I sealed the foam completely in drylok :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
pyjabeda.jpg

all siliconed and cured!
a7evezah.jpg

playing and making sandcastles whilst washing sand
2amezabe.jpg

filling up!!
ta2avuna.jpg

all done!!!
y2esaja3.jpg

top view :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
Nice job on the background. Once you get it cycled and everyone settled in it make sure to post a pic!!
 
Nice job on the background. Once you get it cycled and everyone settled in it make sure to post a pic!!

Only Stanley is going in it! But I will!:))

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
utazupem.jpg
va9u5asu.jpg
and he's in!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top