Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

4 weeks not eating

Sleepylotls95

Reaction score
Anyone experience an axolotl not eat for 4 weeks? Showing no signs of stress
Water levels are spot on & temp
He is now becoming lethargic and not being active
Vet visit tomorrow

MateoD

Reaction score
I've got a similar problem, my 3 year old female axolotl hasn't eaten in 4 weeks now and she's gotten very thin.
I tried fridging her, feeding her live worms, dead worms, fatless meats, she refuses to eat anything and she even blows water at the food.
A few days ago she ate less than a gram of some fatless minced meat, but she's not eating anything since.
She doesn't look very stressed about it, she doesn't float, her tails is fine and her gills are fine, she still swims around her tank but nowhere near as much as before.
Please help.

cogswellretro

Reaction score
I've got a similar problem, my 3 year old female axolotl hasn't eaten in 4 weeks now and she's gotten very thin.
I tried fridging her, feeding her live worms, dead worms, fatless meats, she refuses to eat anything and she even blows water at the food.
A few days ago she ate less than a gram of some fatless minced meat, but she's not eating anything since.
She doesn't look very stressed about it, she doesn't float, her tails is fine and her gills are fine, she still swims around her tank but nowhere near as much as before.
Please help.
My female went through that earlier this Summer. (She is 3 also.) She didn't appear to have anything going on. I did notice she hadn't been pooing regular, so I fridged her for a day. She pooed. Put her back in the tank. I finally started really mixing up the food. I alternated blood worms and brine shrimp. She gradually, pretty quickly, started being interested in food again. She's back up to her normal again and mostly eating night crawlers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1