A couple questions concerning my Axolotl..

VioRayne

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a 3 1/2 inch axie currently in 2 gallon plastic shoe box because my plan was to put it in a 46 gallon bow front aquarium.. but!! I was planning to fill it half way to make it easier for it to swim to the surface for air. I know he's tiny.. but i dont want to keep it in the shoe box... though it seems fairly happy, as long as hes being fed right lol anyways I just want some imput from experienced axie parents.

At what length or age would it be appropriate to fill the 46 gallon tank (im gonna try to put ornaments tall enough to help the climb to the surface). And i read somewhere that 'it shortens their life span if the tank is too tall because they have to swim up for air about every 20 minutes' -is that true? What do you have to say about that? It kinda sounds silly to me..

Also is it okay to feed my juvenile blood worms, brine shrimp, hikari carnivore pellets I alternate everyday to every other day what food he gets to eat to make sure its getting a balanced meal. I know how important that is for a baby.

I guess I just really want some reassurance. Thanks for your time!

It kinda sounds silly to me..

You already have your answer then...
Seeing as axies came from lakes 5-6 feet deep I don't see how a 3 ft deep tank could ever be a problem.
Worms are the best food for axies, you don't need anything else nutritionally, but occasional different food (especially live) is always good for them.

Thanks for your response, I just want to make sure I'm doing things right. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back