Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A Few Questions...

Carl

Reaction score
I've been looking into getting some Axolotl egg's either from here or eBay however I have a few questions =]

1. If I buy say 15-20 eggs? what do I do if I only want one axolotl?:rolleyes:
  2. When the axolotl hatch I believe from what I've read I will have to hatch brine shrimp myself to feed them using something like the DIY plastic bottle hatcheries? do I have to use a pump with these? if so could you recommend a cheap one?:happy:
  3. how long before I have to switch from BBS to another food source? and what will it be? something I can buy from a local aquarium shop? (*hopes*)
  4. what size tank could I hatch them in? a small plastic gold fish bowl? and how long could they stay in that tank?
sorry if these seem a bit silly but I'd just like to be sure:eek:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Are you new to axies? or experienced? If you are new to the species, I recommend buying an older juvenile or adult. Especially if you just want 1, you should not buy a batch of eggs, because if they all hatch what would your plan be? And since you highlighted CHEAP I would just do the most affordable option, buy 1, rather than attempting to hatch a bunch and raise them.

melfly

Reaction score
I wanted one, i got a batch of twenty eggs and ended up with 12!
lol
That was just over a year ago. Now I have the addiction and currently have around 40. mainly larvae and juvies.

Larvae take up a lot of time.

Keep reading about raising.
Yes you will need an air pump for the brine shrimp. Nothing expensive.
Or you could use shop bought daphnia to feed.
The start taking frozen bloodworm about 5-7 weeks

I keep my babies in large plastic tubs non filtered with 100% water changes daily. Where in the uk are you?

Mel

Carl

Reaction score
Hmmm.... I was thinking today that going the eggs route would be allot of hassle:eek: but it seemed like a fun pass time to raise them from eggs and watch them grow:happy: I thought maybe I could give them away in the classifieds or something:rofl:

so whats the chances of being able to find a Axolotl either leucistic or white/gold albino? will pet shops order at request? what kind of price am I looking at? £20-30? as at that price rearing from eggs would be cheaper...

@Eric
: Yer I'm new to to axies, the reason I want to get one is that they have one at my college in the animal care unit =] it's such a sweet little thing:p

@Melfly: I'm on the Isle of Wight, thanks for the info about bloodworm and your setup for your 'babies' =]

Last edited:

melfly

Reaction score
I'm not sure the going rate in pet shops i think £25 ish.
I do have some eggs at the min if your interested. I could send you a small amount for postage costs.
Gold mother, leucistic father
Pic here

Mel

Carl

Reaction score
I'm not sure the going rate in pet shops i think £25 ish.
I do have some eggs at the min if your interested. I could send you a small amount for postage costs.
Gold mother, leucistic father
Pic here

Mel

Thanks for the offer:D but I'm still a little unsure:eek: I think maybe I should read some more and start off with a older one as recommended above:rolleyes:

melfly

Reaction score
No worries.
If you change your mind in the next few days let me know.
Mel

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I would definitely suggest buying a grown Axolotl. Even experienced keepers can have difficulty raising babies, so it would be easier (and possibly less heartbreaking) to begin with a juvenile or young adult. You still get the joy of watching them grow without the stresses of a young one.

Good luck!

Carl

Reaction score
just another quick question what size tank would you recommend? as articles I've read seem to put tank sizes poles part:p some say 40l - 50L and some say no less then 60L...

what size tank would you recommend? could I start off with a smaller one then 40L? if it's only say 5cm big or will it outgrow that far to quickly? and am I better off going for a larger tank straight away?

I do know that there's a 54L tank going in the classifieds which is used but only about 3months old for about £40 is that a good deal? I think it's meant for tropical fish but I'm sure I could just remove the heat lamp bit:confused:

melfly

Reaction score
For one adult you'll need a minimum of a two 2 foot tank. (still a bit small in my opinion) Floor space is more important than the capacity.
If you can afford and can fit a 3 foot somewhere i'd probably go for that....saves upgrading when the axolotl bug hits!! If you get a 40cm wide 3 footer you can get 3 adults in there.

Mel

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!