Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few Salamandra questions

Shazza17

Reaction score
Hi all, ive been looking into getting into fire salamanders for quite some time now and i just had a couple of unanswered questions i would like answered before i look into caring for some.
1). What subspecies is recommended for a beginner and are there any major differences between the captive management of each? E.g gallaica, terrestris.

2). I havent seen much of the species within the north of the UK and was wondering if anyone knows of any reputable breeders around the north west??

Thanks in advance
-Shea

Reaction score
Hi many people breed several of the subs occasionally but usually in small numbers so keep an eye on the for sale or swap area. PM some of the previous adverts the people that breed them are the best for advice and they may have a few coming up for sale but don't make it as far as the adds section. In my experience although very beautiful you don't see the fires in the tank that often they are quite shy.
Regards KB

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience I would recommend a race of gallaica as your first captives. They are about as bold as fire salamanders get and hardy with regards to temperature and conditions. Most fire salamanders require similar care. I have noticed that subspecies like bernardezi do not tolerate limited ventilation as well as terrestris or gallaica. The more southerly forms will also tolerate higher temperatures but it's best not to keep any of the European species/subspecies above 24 degrees Celsius for long. I've never kept high alpine races/species but I suspect they are less tolerant of temps in the 20s.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1