A little newt help please?

Aryamandayal

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Ok so I have a smooth/palmate newt that I rescued, he had a little chunk missing from his nose and he was on the road dried out. I have a few questions.

1. I wanted to breed him at least one time does he need to hibernate or can I keep the tank cooler than normal for the winter months? I dot want to sell the efts or anything, just to raise and release.

2. How deep should the water be? Since he is in breeding season I believe he is aquatic so how deep should I keep the water and when should I make his tank more teresstrial?

3. What should I feed him? I have fed him bloodworms which he has eaten some but spat out some as well. I've tried earthworms he looked like he ate it but he spat that out as well. I've given him little pond bugs not sure what they are but they're really small, he seemed to eat those not 100% sure. What else can I feed him?

4. Is it ok that not the water temp is in between 17 and 21 degrees Celsius (in the past few days)?

5. Is there anything else that I should know?

He has trouble eating as well I think he might be blind or has bad vision in one eye (the same side as the chunk missing (it's the right nostril)) because he doesn't react when I put the food on that side, not sure, he's weird but really sweet.

Thank you :)

He doesn't sound like the best candidate for breeding. Glad you saved him though.

Oh ok
Also would you happen to know the depth and the amount of the tank that should be water?
I want to make the tank a prepped tank. How deep should the water be and like half the tank or....?

I like to keep newts like that in a heavily planted tank with about 4-6 inches of water only, but there are a lot of different ways to do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back