Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A Lot of Worm Questions

Eixa

Reaction score
I don't know how many of these questions have already been answered, but I need to know a few things about keeping worms:
Is 3 animals too few to keep the worm population under control?
Do I need to get stuff for measuring soil pH and moisture or can I just "eyeball it"?
I heard African nightcrawlers are prone to escaping, what precautions do I need to make to prevent that? Thanks for putting up with my newbish questions.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I don't know how many of these questions have already been answered, but I need to know a few things about keeping worms:
Is 3 animals too few to keep the worm population under control?
Do I need to get stuff for measuring soil pH and moisture or can I just "eyeball it"?
I heard African nightcrawlers are prone to escaping, what precautions do I need to make to prevent that? Thanks for putting up with my newbish questions.

I think 3 breeding worms might be a little low (anyone with more experience correct me) On earth worms that swollen band around the head is where they keep their eggs so if you are going to only keep 3 I would recommend they have that. As for pH I've only used organic potting or top soil, making sure to move it around every other day. Moisture is what you want but you don't want saturated soil. Basically keep the top layer from getting too dry while making sure the bottom doesn't get soaked. Nightcrawlers do try to escape sometimes but a tight fitting lid will prevent that. just make sure to include small air holes on the top. I've been using Canadian nightcrawlers and found them to be a pain to breed. I'm going to switch to "red wigglers" because they are more prolific breeders.

DocZelop

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been breeding red wigglers (Eisenia foetida) for four years now, and I can tell you they're indeed much more prolific than canadian nightcrawlers. Also, they tend to be quite smaller which I find convenient for feeding smaller animals. The only drawback is that some amphibians don't like them because apparently they exsude some kind of stinking mucus (they're called foetida for a reason after all), but in my experience most captive amphibians will gladly feed on them.

Breeding them couldn't be simpler. Just drill a few holes in a plastic box (for ventilation), fill it up with plant soil, and put the wigglers inside. For a starter colony, I used two packs of wigglers (bought a the local fishing shop), which is about 80 individuals. After that, well, not much to worry about. I feed them once a week with uncooked semolina or ground rice, the quantity depending on how much your colony can eat in one week. Just be sure to store the plastic box in a cool dark place (worms do hate warmth and light) and you're set.

Hope this helps, best,

DocZ

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I think they meant three animals that eat worms.

Oh woops! you're right haha In that case I think it all depends on how much the animals eat vs how large of a colony.
The cool thing about red wigglers is they are pretty native to most regions so if you have exras you can set them free or give them away to other pet keepers.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Nightcrawlers (lumbricus) don't breed in captivity - the prefer very cool and deep soil which a tub can't provide. Eisenia/dendrobaena (red wrigglers, tiger worms) are the easiest to keep and breed.

A plastic box with airholes, soil, some veg scraps and the worms will be happy.

kenya_1977

Reaction score
If you are having problems with your worms escaping a light may help for a couple days. When worms get set up in a new environment they tend to have a few days where they are in roaming mode. If you put a light above them that deters them from leaving the soil. About a week like this and you won't see the worms try to leave any more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alexmcc:
    Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane . So we are week 8 I'm dosing daily with 4pp of amonia and for the last week has been dropping to zero witch I no is good. But my question is my nitrites are sitting at between 0.50 and 1.0 PM and nitrates are between 10 and 20 and neither of these seem to be dropping. I have done 2 40% water changes a few days ago and no change the only thing I can think of is I didnt use the seachem stability stuff which I have now ordered but surely that shouldn't have much difference this far into cycling
    +1
    Unlike
  • ytz13513:
    Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is working. You just have to remove the nitrate from the water doing water changes. The level of nitrates is high and the nitrate is also high. The nitrite will be converted to nitrate using the beneficial bacteria and you can add them using quick start or allowing them to naturally grow in the tank. The latter option will take longer. The nitrate can be used by plants, so live plants can decrease the levels, but I would do a water change to get the nitrate at a level that is lower than 5 ppm. 5ppm of nitrate is natural and a good place.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EvankingM:
    New here. hope this is the right place to post my question. I had 27 axolotyls aged 2-3 months old. main food has been finely chopped up bloodworms. no problems. I decided to introduce earthworms from my earthworm compost bin for variety. I finely chopped up 4 small earthworms and fed them to the babies. Within an hour 20 of the babies were dead. The remaining 7 (the smaller babies) survived and are now fine on bloodworms. Any ideas why the chopped up earthworms killed many of the babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Lyv3wyr3 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: Lyv3wyr3 has left the room. +1