A positive outcome - from a bossy woman!

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Country
England
My daughter recently went to a large public zoo/aquarium in the SE of England and came home concerned, as they had an 'information board' up beside the exhibit of axolotls that stated (in effect) that if you take one out of water it will morph... :p

I was very concerned about this, so looked them up on the old InterWeb and contacted them. I told them I was concerned that people would buy an axie to experiment, hoped there were no sellers nearby, and requested that they removed the misleading sign IMMEDIATELY and contacted me re agreement on wording for a new one (I admit I was rather stern, but so what! I felt someone had to be!)

THE NEXT DAY I received a reply. They agreed, AND they have removed the sign! They said they would research THIS SITE (I gave them the link) before having a new sign made and thanked me for my concern.

It's good to know, that simply by doing something positive, rather than just moaning about it, I made something happen! :D

Abrahm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad to hear that! Good to see that being involved worked and they agreed to change their signange and research a new one.

digger

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
frances dansie
Good on you, nice to hear someone taking he initiative.

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Country
England
It gets better!

This morning I got a wake-up phone call. It was the manager at the aquarium! I was suddenly really embarrassed; its easier to be 'demanding' in an email than when you're caught off-guard and half asleep. :eek:

He asked if I'd received the email and was happy with their response. Then he surprised me. He ASKED ME, AS IF I WAS AN EXPERT (ha!):eek:, what I recommended they do as their axolotls had just laid a surprise gift of 20 eggs, and the last and only other batch was killed in a fire they'd had previously. :(

I suggested starting up their own daphnia hatchery, so they'd have nice new teeeny ones for when the larvae hatched. We discussed water changes, habitat and substrate. He seemed impressed/pleased. And boy, was I was relieved?!! At least he asked something I knew... Phew :eek::D:cool:

rich

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
rich, axie newbie, help please :)
lol, Well then i Think the Aquirum is lucky that it was somebody that knew what they was talking about :). And while studying animal manegment, i was told before i started my course that it would ruin all zoo's and Aquiria forever, as instead of looking at the animals, your constantly looking for faults (and forever findings them unfortunatly) But be extremaly pleased with ur self! As without u speaking up alot of axie may have come into harm.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Eva
You see, it really is worth the time it takes to SAY SOMETHING. They really are odd creatures, our axolotls, and - I haven't even considered the psychology of it - also somehow addictively endearing. Never mind all that, most people who actually present animals of some kind, for show or for sale, are actually interested in the animals themselves (we have to keep believing this statement, you see). The horror stories we all know really stem from ignorance, not cruelty or money-mindedness (and I keep telling myself that).

20 eggs is, by the way, pretty thin.

I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to visit aqarium clubs and such to talk about axolotls, as they seem to be "enjoying" increasing interest.

Cloudyn92

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kind of concerning that this misinformation was at a zoo! Good for you for correcting them and getting them some husbandry information for their eggs. Hopefully this misstep will make them more vigilant in the future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest Taro Tea has joined the room.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Um can some one help mee
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    I just got this new axolotl and I didn't cycle the water because the pet store guys said I didn't have to but now I know I have to
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls