Abandoned marbled salamander eggs

• Thread starter Deleted member 40430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40430

So i found these marbled salamander eggs while i was out surveying. I really wanted to do something to help them since the mortality rate is high for amphibian eggs- also there were these leeches crawling around the clutch sooo i did something crazy and took the eggs home- not all of them though in case the nest does enough water to submerge the eggs and hatch on their own. But i would like try and headstart the eggs that i did collect. I collected some water from the nearby pond with a water bottle. I plan on moving them into a sweater box container but before i do that i need to know what kind of water i should keep the eggs in. I mean i could go back to the pond and use that water but I was wandering if rain water would be ok to put the eggs in?

Attachments

• 20201025_122528.jpg
    20201025_122528.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 138
You could get a water dechlorinator. Or use spring water pond water also works cuz it’ll have the microorganisms that they’ll eat when they hatch

Just because they're abandoned it doesn't mean you should take them. Not all nests are attended. They're waiting for the water level to reach them.

I understand your point. I don't like the idea of taking wildlife out of its habitat i wanted to help. I plan to release the salamanders to headstart them. I'm very much into conservation. Female marbled salamanders usually guard the eggs too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back