Question: About my Axolotl's eating schedule...

WasabiThumbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, so let me walk you guys through Ordis's eating habits...

Day 1: He did not eat much. He didn't take any food except one pellet which he sort-of spat back out half-eaten. To his credit, I haven't found the strategic spots for feeding yet and I didn't know him well enough to know where I should put the food. He could have been very hungry.

Day 2: Regular eating. Lots of misses because I am improving with the way I feed him, but he eats a seemingly regular amount.

(Cue two repeats of day 2)

Day 5: More of the same, but a complication with cooling happened under my nose...

Day 6: I wake up to a hotter-than-usual tank and have to start cooling back up again. I am worried but I try to feed him. No dice. I can only assume that he was stressed out and was refusing food.

Day 7 (Today): I want to make sure he is well fed. I give him the regular amount and he spends no time "chewing" (I know it isn't actually chewing, I hope you know what I mean) and it goes right down. I decide to try another pellet, and he takes that one too. Then I do another, he also takes that one quickly. By then he had enough I guess, and seemed completely disinterested in more pellets. He didn't even move his head.

So I don't know much about eating habits (it's the one thing I didn't really look into) but it seems like he was hungry after day 6, and wanted seconds? I'm not sure what the cause is, but just in case, here are other differences between day 6 and 7:
- Did a water change and filter wash, the filter was barely dirty and the test strips before and after were barely different

- He of course grew a little, and still is. He has easily grown another quarter to eighth inches in the first week. Look at him go!

Other notes: He seems much more active after feeding today.

Freshwater Salt

Reaction score
Country
United States
How old is he? When ours were young they did the same behaviour roughly. Found out that sometimes they just don't like the pellets yet (until they got older). We noticed the lack of interest and grabbed some blood worm cubes and they ate regularly. Just like any newer critter you will have to wean them into new food types (if it is in fact new as a food).

A general statement is if the belly is as wide as their head they are well fed. If it is smaller, they are not getting enough food. Albeit not scientific, it does tend to be accurate enough to gauge.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Country
United States
seconding the rule of thumb: body as wide as head

when they are still growing its ok to feed them as much as they will take, once they start looking plump just dial it back until you figure out how much is needed.
one of mine HATES hikari pellets and will spit them out even if no other food is offered for 3 days (i got different pellets at that point, which he will eat) but the others like them well enough, some axolotls are pickier than others and you can expect them to probably fuss over a switch in foods if they liked whatever they ate previously.
with juveniles you can do once or twice a day feedings, if he can only eat one or two pellets at a time but still seems hungry you may need to offer food 2 times a day and see how he does.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +1
    Unlike
    Naxuzi: Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate... +1