Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

About those "no additive potting soils", can they be trusted?

noneofmany

Reaction score
The A. Macrodactylum I discussed on an earlier thread has now fully morphed and virtually overnight decided he doesn't like water anymore.

I am preparing a traditional mole salamander setup for a juvenile but I'm having my doubts about what kind of substrates to use. I was mostly thinking of the coconut fiber and potting soil combo with a piece of cork to hide under, but I am terrified of using one that has something in it that will poison it.

I hear people talk about non additive top soils but I'd like to hear specifically what brand/type people have had success with.

If anyone could give a recipe for their soil mix that would certainly help as well.

And actually if anyone uses the unbleached paper towel approach what kind do you trust?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Potting soils are different to regular topsoil. Potting soil implies it's for potting plants and will usually be formulated for feeding pot plants. I generally avoid anything with the word potting in the name just to be safe. Here in the UK you can buy bags of screened and sterelized organic topsoil. This is just soil, similar to that which you would find in a garden border rather than a formulated compost.

If you can't find topsoil rehydrated coco fibre will be fine. Some keepers mix topsoil and coco fibre 50/50 to give it better consistancy/drainage properties.

Brian M

Reaction score
I think the tree fern mixed with coco fiber works really well.....though the tree fern can be a little pricey. Also if you plan on using part of the tank as a pond area you'll need to soak the tree fern and coco fiber. The tannins leach really bad so use a old bucket and rinse several times before introducing to your setup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1