Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ACF or ADF?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I can not decide between the two, Personal choice wise what would you choose?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Well, my ACF lived for around 10 years, But whenever I got an ADF they died within a year. I would pick an ACF personally lol.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Well they are both suppose to be long lived with proper care.

Niels D

Reaction score
I believe ADF's lifespan is shortened a lot due to inbreeding. I've read something about it on frogforum.net, but I forgot the details. I would choose an ACF, because I prefer big...:rolleyes:

xxianxx

Reaction score
Acf all the way. They are bigger and bolder and are an all round better pet. They have a lower mortality rate that adf as well, though this is often down to people not feeding live food .

Boidzy

Reaction score
I haven't had ADF's but I can't imagine they would be as fun to watch as my ACF's :rofl:

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
LOL Everyone seems to side with ACF ... Hmmm ... I had one and it was horribly shy.

xxianxx

Reaction score
LOL Everyone seems to side with ACF ... Hmmm ... I had one and it was horribly shy.

Male acf can be a little bit shy sometimes, females tend to be more outgoing, probably due to the fact that they are always after food. Either way adf hide a lot more than acf, I have a tank of six adf and can see a max of two at anyone time and they dont hand feed, whilst my six adult acf start a feeding frenzy when I throw worms or roaches at them and they beg for food lol .

Alyce

Reaction score
Hope everyone is wrong about the ADF. Just got nine of the little guys. However I love the colors of the ACF. I chose the ADF because I didn't want the ACF to get so big they would eat my fish. But then I ended up moving the ADF to their own tank anyway...

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
LOL ... don't know why but i find ACF ugly. I had ADF and I loved them bunches!!!

Tappers

Reaction score
When I worked at a fish store we had a gentleman who would bring his Xenopus in during his annual holiday. When I first met these frogs fifteen years ago they were in their twenties and I couldn't quite believe it. Five years ago I saw two of the three of them which although looking a bit geriatric had every right to as they were in their mid-thirties! If it comes down to lifespan then it's an easy choice..

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd chime in. I've had adfs when I was younger and found that they would always get scared away from the food from any fish in the tank. I even put them in their own setup and they still would hide all day. I wasn't experienced enough to know to try live food with them, but I probably would buy them once I have the space. In the meantime in school we would always read about biologists using xenopus and I swore if I ever saw them available I'd get them. Finally last week the lfs got 4 which means I got 4 new acf. They eat like champs and already figured out that when I walk up to the tank it means food.

Margie

Reaction score
This is a no-brainer for me since ACF are illegal in my state.

I raised a batch of ADF from eggs, so I wound up with a tank full of froglets. They had the tank to themselves and I found it VERY fun to watch because there was always so much activity. I gave away the first batch of froglets and now I'm raising a second batch. This group has only just reached the point where some have fully absorbed their tails. I've never kept ADF as adults (the eggs were given to me), so it remains to be seen if they're as much fun once they're full grown.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
This is a no-brainer for me since ACF are illegal in my state.

I raised a batch of ADF from eggs, so I wound up with a tank full of froglets. They had the tank to themselves and I found it VERY fun to watch because there was always so much activity. I gave away the first batch of froglets and now I'm raising a second batch. This group has only just reached the point where some have fully absorbed their tails. I've never kept ADF as adults (the eggs were given to me), so it remains to be seen if they're as much fun once they're full grown.

Just looked up the state I am originally from (NJ) and realized why I never saw them in stores there. Glad to have moved lol

preternatural

Reaction score
I like ADFs because they need less tank space per individual and can coexist with my fish.

Ted

Reaction score
I've probably had about 2 dozen adf's and none of them ever lived very long,relatively.why not settle for something in between,a smaller species like tropicalis?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I ended up getting both :) I have an ACF tank and an ADF grow out tub. Two different tanks of course. They are very different but fun in their own ways.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1