Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ADA & DOOA Tanks?

ShawnJPN

Reaction score
Does anyone have their newts or salamanders in any ADA and DOOA tanks like these? I put this thread in Off Topic because there isn't actually any newts in it but it really got me curious, its a real treat to go to one of these pop up events too.

kwarzym

Reaction score
Hey Shawn, I don't have an ADA or DOOA tank myself (I was waiting to see if anyone chimed in first before I did) but I think a lot of those tanks would work well for a lot of aquatic newts. Outside of the obvious open-top and plants growing-out-of-the-tank examples (no explanation necessary - newts are good escape artists), I think reducing the water level slightly to allow the verticality of the tanks rocks and terrain to provide opportunities for the newts to leave the water (or at least hang out near the surface). On that note, I do love the carpeting Monet Carlo plants in these kinds aquascapes, but I think having some more tall plants would be beneficial.I have some Okinawan Gold Dust Newts (I believe you have the same kind?) in a Iwagumi-styled tank (recently migrated from a smaller tank). Not exactly what you asked, but I hope this is helpful

Attachments

• PXL_20220913_215038669.jpg
    PXL_20220913_215038669.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 187

ShawnJPN

Reaction score
Hey Shawn, I don't have an ADA or DOOA tank myself (I was waiting to see if anyone chimed in first before I did) but I think a lot of those tanks would work well for a lot of aquatic newts. Outside of the obvious open-top and plants growing-out-of-the-tank examples (no explanation necessary - newts are good escape artists), I think reducing the water level slightly to allow the verticality of the tanks rocks and terrain to provide opportunities for the newts to leave the water (or at least hang out near the surface). On that note, I do love the carpeting Monet Carlo plants in these kinds aquascapes, but I think having some more tall plants would be beneficial.I have some Okinawan Gold Dust Newts (I believe you have the same kind?) in a Iwagumi-styled tank (recently migrated from a smaller tank). Not exactly what you asked, but I hope this is helpful
Yes I do! The Okinawan Newts are probably my favorite and any comments welcomed! From the many I saw in video most are definitely not enclosed properly and would allow for escape but they do have the terrarium/paludariums that are fully enclosed with lots of vegetation. Whenever I go to the aquarium stores in Tokyo, Japan they also sometimes house newts in these sort of terrarium set ups fully enclosed. Most times trying to sell the tanks before the animals or altogether in a set/bundle but I don't see too many anywhere really. Not even Japanese Twitter or YouTube.

Good luck carpeting your Monte Carlo, I haven't found success with that plant yet especially in newt tanks I don't think the temps are friendly to it, I don't know if it needs CO2 either I haven't tried CO2 with Newts I can't imagine doing it unless its a tank size of 100 Gallons. I like the Iwagumi style its different and I really don't see it often with newts either, thanks for sharing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1