Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Advice for substrate?

featherstorm

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked time and time again, but do you think this substrate will harm my axie? If so, I’d prefer to remove it before she gets here. For more info: Its plant substrate for some live plants that were previously in the tank. I’m not exactly sure which brand it was. It is not dirt, as it does not crush easily. It’s errs more on the side of gravel (which I know is a no-no). Will it be too much of a risk? Or could I potentially bury it under some finer sand? My only concern is that it tends to get tossed up/mixed with the other substrate during water changes. I’ve attached pictures of it on the tank floor, as well as a larger piece beside my finger to show it better, as I’m not a very eloquent ‘explainer’…
If I must change it out, does anyone know a quick and safe way to do so? I work a lot and typically only have about 4-6 hours at most to myself a day. I don’t mind changing it, but I worry most about disrupting the bacterial cycle of my tank.
Thank you all so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 789
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!