Advice on kaiseri spawning substrates please

Tappers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With their first aquatic spring ahead, I'm in the process of putting together a set-up for my kaiseri. Having seen them deposit eggs on various things from heads of state to moss and plastic plants I wondered if any breeders could steer me towards a favourite?

They'll have plenty of rockwork in there but I was hoping there might be something that I could easily move to a rearing tank with minimal disruption. Are the adults likely to eat any eggs of larvae that remain unnoticed?

I like to use yarn spawning mops. I pick the kaiseri eggs off of the mop and put them in a hatching tank.

Given the choice between rocks and plastic plants mine always go for the plants. I use mats of this stuff and the females tunnel through it hiding eggs amongst the leaves. To remove the eggs just turn the mat upside down and use a turkey baster to suck them off.

They are not big egg eaters in my experience.

Mine would lay on anything (plants, bare glass bottom, rocks, ornaments, etc.); it really didn't seem to matter. Although it may have happened, I never saw egg eating. I wouldn't worry about that.

Mine lay most of their eggs in crevices on limestone rock. A friend of mine cut groves into the rock varying from 1/8-1/2" deep and about 1/8" wide. I've used live and fake plants which they also use, the rocks definitely get more eggs deposited on them in my experience though.

All of mine only laid on plants I had... They laid 0 on rocks or the filter..

Mine layed anywhere, rocks,plants, filter inlet under floating cork island.
I just removed them with a turkey baster, they come away very easy. I always left some eggs in and these were never eaten, once they hatched the larvae were never eaten. :happy:

Mine lay most of their eggs in crevices on limestone rock. A friend of mine cut groves into the rock varying from 1/8-1/2" deep and about 1/8" wide. I've used live and fake plants which they also use, the rocks definitely get more eggs deposited on them in my experience though.

I just read this and was really disappointed that someone else had that idea. Then I saw it was you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back