Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on skipping tank cycling

Kwags

Reaction score
I recently got a 20 gallon tank I’m currently cycling in but it’s taking some time could I get away with putting my axolotl in. He’s maybe like 4 1/2 inches, I don’t see him making that much waste or anything to really high in the ammonia levels or any of that sub I would Regular water checks and do water changes and if there are any spikes then I will continue to just tub him.

what are thoughts?
thank you in advance

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
That is the slowest way to cycle and can take months to get a solid cycle to handle the heavy bioload of an axolotl.

How are you ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels tracking?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Cycling requires feeding your cycle, daily testing and patience.
If you want to move it along faster add a heater, nitrifying bacteria supplement and/or old dirty filter media from another tank (not out of a filter for more than 15mins)

Pure cleaning ammonia - no scents, surfactants or additive or dry ammonium chloride

Test daily (ammonia, nitrite once you see nitrites then start testing nitrate daily as well)
Dose your ammonia back to 4ppm daily
Add a heater 76-78 degrees
Add nitrifying bacteria supplement daily at highest dose for 7 days

If ....
Ammonia is over 4ppm - 33% water change and retest to verify 4ppm still
Nitrite is over 2ppm - 33-50% water change
Nitrate is over 160ppm - 75% water change
pH lower than 6 or higher than 8.2 AND your cycle has stalled - 50% water change

In your testing daily you should see....
-ammonia dropping at some point
-nitrite starting to rise at some point
-eventually you will start to see nitrates - do a happy dance

Once you have nitrates keep testing daily and dosing ammonia to 4ppm.

When you notice you dose ammonia and within 24 hours and retest you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and all nitrates do a massive happy dance time for your 3 day challenge!!

3 day challenge is status quo - test, dose ammonia to 4ppm and wait 24 long hours repeat 24 hours repeat. If your tests came to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and all nitrate you are cycled !!

Now to get your temp down very slowly, get your pH in check - you do need to continue feeding the cycle through this.

Examples or Nitrifying bacteria supplements

Seachem Stability
Seachem Pristine - if you have low ph sometimes you need this one
Dr Tim's one and only
Tetra Safe Start plus
API stress zyme
Nutrafin Cycle

I have the master API test kit. Everything is low sitting at “zero”

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'd pull the white clouds out and plunk the axolotl in. Make sure you have a good biological filter, feed lightly, and do 20% water changes every week or every two weeks. If you have good biomedia from another filter to seed your filter that works good too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!