Aeration needed to hatch shrimp?

D

deb

I have precious axolotl eggs a couple of days from hatching (they're already thrashing around in the jelly) so we've rigged up a shrimp hatchery. The problem is the pump connected to the hatchery - it seems to be churning up the water to an alarming degree. It is designed for a tank of 19 litres so is it just too strong? Should I just not aerate at all or get a smaller pump? Please help.

That is fine. The water should look like it is boiling to get the best hatch.

I would say it should be a gentle boil. I think you probably do have too much air. You don't need a smaller pump, you just need some kind of air tubing splitter device, or a gang valve. Do a Google images search for "gang valve" and you will see what I'm talking about.

I'm off to the pet shop on a hunt for gang valves - thanks very much.

Joy of joys! What a wonderful thing a gang valve is Jennifer. Thank you. And now we have bronze coloured egg shells over the surface of the hatchery and little shimmery things toward the base (the shrimp I guess). Best technique for removing shells and retrieving shrimp?? And how long will they live in the freshwater will newly hatched axies?

Tons of different techniques. I use a medicine dropper to remove them but that is definetly NOT the best technique...it takes too long. Some people simply siphon them out using airline tubing but I haven't perfected that and tend to get salt water on the floor...not good.

They live for a few hours in FW so feed just enough to be eaten in maybe the span of hour or so

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back