Age limit before breeding.

axowattyl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm aware of the recommended 18 months minimum age before breeding, but is it a recommendation or a hard and fast rule?

The reason I ask is that I suspect I have two 10-12 month old females who are full of eggs.

With a recent cold snap that has seen my tank temps fall from 18 deg (with chiller working) to 14-16 deg, my 3 females have suddenly all bloated out wider than their heads.

Males have stayed the same weight, but with a pronounced swelling of their "bits".

Food intake is normal, worms/pellets, and they are as happy and active as ever.

But they do have that uncomfortable (but lovely) look of a lady at 8 1/2 months.

I've sold off 3 wild type males and kept my beautiful leucy male so that there isn't an orgy of harassment for the girls.

Is it really wrong to let them go to it at this age?

Even just once, then separate them from the male?

Obviously I'd love to see it happen, but I don't want to cause undue suffering.

There's 4 of them in a 6x2x2 which then flows through another 6x2x2 full of plants then a BIG cannister before returning, so there's plenty of well cycled water.

If they do a batch of eggs I can put them straight in the bottom tank to hide among the plants for as long as they like without any more male attention.

It causes a little stress on the body when bred young, and can shorten life expectancy but 12 months isn't too bad as a one off. I would separate them until they've all reached a more suitable age for breeding.

Congratulations on the possible babies :)

It causes a little stress on the body when bred young, and can shorten life expectancy but 12 months isn't too bad as a one off. I would separate them until they've all reached a more suitable age for breeding.

Congratulations on the possible babies :)

Thank you,

I've got a feeling that if I don't make up my mind and take action soon, they'll make it up for me.

It causes a little stress on the body when bred young, and can shorten life expectancy.
Are there any research papers to back up this statement? How is the stress you mention measured? What evidence is there of shortened life expectancy? I would be interested to know what has led you to these conclusions. Thanks.

I should have said "may cause shortened life expectancy" rather than "can". Previous posts such as this one (Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully) & other internet claims. Sure internet is notorious for breeding false facts but in other animals breeding too young, too often can cause health risks, and definite shortened life expectancy.

Breeding a dog very young and very often can cut a few years off. I've seen it happen many times personally. I know axolotls aren't dogs but that's the same case in many other types of animals and I presumed the same for axolotls.

Producing hundreds and hundreds of eggs constantly at a younger age I would suspect wouldn't be so healthy internally, previous posts have mentioned axolotls going off food, prolapsed colocas, swollen colocas etc. I didn't say that his axolotl is going to die after it lays this batch but perhaps to hold off until a little older.

I'm curious to know now if it is fine to have young axolotls breed? I just thought it was common knowledge not to breed anything too young to ensure their bodies are fully prepared. Could you posts research or links that I can read up on?

Last edited:
Are there any research papers to back up this statement? How is the stress you mention measured? What evidence is there of shortened life expectancy? I would be interested to know what has led you to these conclusions. Thanks.

All very good questions.

Is there anyone with EXPERIENCE in these matters that could offer some advice?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back