Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Albino axolotl - changed to a pink colour and am unsure of gender?

Fentone84

Reaction score
I initially panicked when my Lion-o got to around 6 months old because of the tail changing to a salmon pink colour, which is constant. Obviously gills become more vivid with certain moods but how often do they change colour at maturity as I've red it is usually due to blood flow?

I know Lion-o is mature because of the appendages turning black at the tips and whilst he's spoiled since I went on furlough he's much happier since upgrading everything for him as got quite aggy along with swimming at the sides of the tanks around that time.

This is a newbie question: is that just bits of prawns he's been stupid enough to spit out after hand feeding the spoiled brat or is Lion-o more Cheetara?

Attachments

• IMG-20200518-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20200518-WA0009.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20200521_120956.jpg
    IMG_20200521_120956.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 131

EllieWind

Reaction score
Changing from a whiter color to more pink and vice-versa is pretty common depending on how active your axolotl is at the time. It's only when they start to look red and veiny that you'd need to worry.
6 months old is still a bit too early to tell gender for sure, and darkening toe tips isn't always a sure sign of sexual maturity. To me your axie looks more like a female (round belly and shorter tail), but like I said, it's still too early to tell.

Fentone84

Reaction score
That's really helpful! Couldn't find much about colour changes in adolescents.

Interesting about potentially being female and the black fingers tips. Definitely seen a change in size and temperament in past month since that colour change but is still placid enough to eat from my hand.

When I first saw the little whitey/pink blobs I thought they may be eggs (second picture) which is why I'm questioning the gender, but sounds as though it is too soon to say for sure. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1