Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algae on javamoss

C

chris

I have a largee amount of javamoss in a 4ft aquarium with natural daylight bulb. It is starting to get covered in a black coloured algae type growth which seems to be stifling it.
A) will aquarium algae killer effect the javamoss/riccia with the black stuff on?
B) will it harm the newts? (Tylototriton verrucosus)
Chris

J

john

Sounds like too much nitrate in the tank and too much light. You need to deal with those problems.

In answer to your questions:

a) Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised.
b) Depends on the algae, but probably not. Worry more about the water conditions.

J

jesper

I would never use that stuff.
What you need is more light and less phosphates(and nitrates) ;)
More light will make your riccia explode, believe me. More riccia - less nitrates and phosphates.
I really recommend using hygrophila corymbosa to reduce algae problems. I have just loaded one tank, that I had problems with, with these plants.
They cost like one euro each and grow like weed - I love their looks too
happy.gif

Make sure you don't have the light turned on more than say 12h.

C

chris

How can I reduce nitrate and phosphate levels? - is that how you mean the hygrophila corymbosa will help algae problems. any pics of this plant?
The tank has only been up a running a few weeks, so I am not surprised about the algal bloom. Should I do more frequent water changes?
Chris

J

john

Water changes, yes. That's pretty much the only way to keep the nitrates down unless the tank is extremely well planted.

J

jesper

You can either use plants that take up nutrition from the water, not from the substrate, preferably one that grows fast and thus consumes a lot of nitrates and phosphates per pound invested
biggrin.gif
The ultimate plant to start up a new tank with is ceratophyllum demersum which is pretty fastgrowing and secretes a substance that kills off algae. I think the common name is Hornswort or something like that. I still haven't been able to find it here *sigh*

However corymbosas do a good job too.

Alternative nr two would be to change water more often, simply to dilute the phosphates and nitrates.

I would love to post some pics of my hygrophila corymbosas if I could.......dunno what is up.

I'll try to imagelink to a pic though...
Copyright sigh....Had to remove it....
Here's the link though:

http://www.zoopet.com/akvarium/vaxt_bild.asp?BILD=524

Sorry I wrote this before John posted, just tried to take a photo myself and post it..........

(Message edited by jesper on March 21, 2004)

C

chris

Thanks
The tank is heavily planted with javamoss, riccia, egeria, elodea, a tiny bit of java fern. Most of these plants are recently added, so will take some tim to take effect. I also added some salvinia yesterday, as hopefully it will grow fast with warmth, nutrients, humidity and light. I t will also cut down on light and discourage algae. I think I may have hornwort in my pond...I will have a check.
Chris

A

alan

Algae outbreaks are very common in newly planted tanks. While all the advice above is good, it will take some time for the tank to settle down and the higher plants to properly establish itself. In the meantime, manually remove the algae and keep up the water changes.

J

jesper

Yes exactly one should always plant the tank a couple of weeks before adding animals!

C

chris

the 'algae' isn't as described as the BGA...as soon as I can borrow a camera I will post pics. it only grows on the javamoss/riccia...
The tank was planted for 2 weeks with just egeria before animals were added. There are no other algae problems, except the small amount on the glass... Hopefully time and some water changes will sort it out. The site Jen posted says that by adding nitrates, this allows higher plants to use up all the phosphates - what has (safe) nitrates in to add to the tank?
Chris

(Message edited by froggy on March 22, 2004)

J

jesper

Sure sounds interesting if it works! Keep us posted on that method.

Yeah well some algae can be almost impossible to get rid off...

A

a

Chris, If youre short of hornwort, i have plenty of it! Im not sure whether i could send it to Sweden though Jesper
I read somewhere, i think in another post in this forum, that hornwort absorbs heavy metals from the water, so an added bonus i suppose!
I havent heared anything about hornwort actually producing stuff that kills algae, allthough i havent had any big algae problems in my pond since the hornwort got going!

AJfr0ggy

C

chris

Ajj
that would be great if you could send some. Do you have my address?
Chris

J

jesper

Thanks for the offer AJJ, but if I remember correctly ceratophyllum demersum is quite sensitive to transports. There must be somebody around here who grows it....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!