Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

All around help on newt/salamander care required!

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
If you can, keep him in the dark during transit. (Wrap the box in something, cover it with a towel, etc.) this will help him keep calm. I guess if I had a fully aquatic newt, I would give it about two inches of water, as well as paper towels. If for nothing else, he can use these as something to cling to. Just make sure he doesn't slosh around too much.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would transport him on saturated paper towels, no water. Paddletails are not obligate aquatic (they don't have gills), so he will be fine on land for a few hours.

Don't put water and paper towels in the container. You risk suffocating the newt if it becomes entangled in floating paper towel.

Shardas

Reaction score
Okay, back from the vet at 11+pm, set up the meds for Takorr and went to sleep.

Doc says it's most likely his renal functions, maybe kidney problem (heard something about cannot pee), and possible bacteria carried by guppies. No more guppies for guppy munching Takorr! He gave Ringer's solution and an antibiotic to soak Takorr in constantly until the bloating subsides. This morning I checked on Takorr the solution seems to have worked; his throat swelling has gone down quite significantly, though he doesn't like the solution much. I took pics of the meds too.

Random: Takorr just doesn't like being picked up; he tried to protest at the doc by opening his mouth at him too! XD

Any idea who can ship some worms other than earthworms to Singapore? Planning to give them to Takorr as a treat.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 133

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent news! Would you share the information about which vet you used, so that others might benefit?

Shardas

Reaction score
There, I managed to get his card. :) Takorr looks almost back to normal now... He even shed his skin! Should I leave him in there a little while more to ensure he's fine, or transfer him back to the tank?

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpg
    IMG_2732.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 180

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Continue the course of treatment as you are until you've finished the antibiotics.

If I was in this situation, I'd dismantle and disinfect the tank.

Shardas

Reaction score
Disinfect with? And how long should I leave the solvent in there? Also, that means to cycle the tank again, yes?

Haha, many questions being a newbie. :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Questions are what lead you from the land of the Newb! Ask as many as you need to.

Disinfect it with diluted vinegar. You can spray it directly on the bare tank walls. You'll have to soak everything in the tank; I usually let things soak about an hour. Rinse well and let stand to dry.

You'll have to re-cycle, but if it was in fact something in the tank rather than renal function, you'll at least have a clean slate to put your hopefully healthy guy back into.

Shardas

Reaction score
Takorr died last night :'( Maybe I've put him in the solution a tad too long, doc had said to put him back in the tank when he looks alright, which is whe I asked about whether to continue soaking him in the solution or putting him back in the tank. He was really soft all over when I took him out of the solution, buried him in my backyard...

On a somewhat good note, I now have the tank to disinfect and cycle while I mourn.
Do I soak the live plants in the vinegar solvent as well? What's the ratio for vinegar:water?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh no. I didn't know you were confused about the treatment plan. I'm so sorry.

Shardas

Reaction score
>< it's fine, lesson learned. I bought more plants and had to do some creative landscaping anyway, since the tank is kinda small, just big enough for a paddletail.

I didn't write Doc's instructions, so you didn't know >_<

So... The questions weren't answered; plant and concentration of vinegar.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that... Seems like one problem after another.

As for the plants, there are multiple ways to clean them. I would let them soak in a solution that's 10% bleach, 90% water, then rinse them thoroughly and let them sit in a tub or container for 24 hours. After that, they should be fine.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about Takorr, I've never been keen on Paddletails but over the course of this thread I became a big fan of his!
I hope there's endless Guppys and Earthworms for him wherever he is now!

RIP Little fella.

Shardas

Reaction score
Everything is being soaked now... Will get everything set up before getting another newt; it won't replace Takorr though, he had spunk!

I can imagine Takorr chasing all the earthworms in the shallow land. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1