Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine inexpectatus

shnabo

Reaction score
I have 3 alpine inexpectatus I received from a friend here. I was wondering if their bellies turn orange later on. I have seen pics online of inexpectatus with yellow and some
with orange bellies so I'm not too sure/ pretty sure regardless what alpine subspecies you search all the same pics come up lol. I feed them foods high in carotene at least once or twice a week. These ones are still young.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 342

MnGuy

Reaction score
All I can add is that I bought my three alpine news last year when they were under a year old, and all had orange bellies and remain orange several months later with no special feedings. I feed them pelleted new food and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, etc. I feed them live daphnia, bloodworms and mosquito larvae in the spring, summer and fall.

Good luck.

otolith

Reaction score
Diet plays a big role in belly color. If the larvae are fed carotene rich foods such as daphnia, copepods, gammarus etc. they will have much redder bellies than those fed worms, tubifex, red worms etc when they morph. The belly color at morphing usually stays with the animals through adulthood too so if high red animals are important its easier to accomplish this before the animal morphs. Belly color and colors generally will intensify with a carotene rich diet after morphing but it seems to take a lot more time to become noticeable.

I have Alpine (apuanas) morphs that have both orange and yellow bellies and it all correlates to what foods I had available when they were larvae.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can add is that I bought my three alpine news last year when they were under a year old, and all had orange bellies and remain orange several months later with no special feedings. I feed them pelleted new food and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, etc. I feed them live daphnia, bloodworms and mosquito larvae in the spring, summer and fall.

Good luck.

Apart from the bloodworm all the foods you mention are high in carotene. The pellets alone are normally enough to turn their bellies orange.
Mind you, I find that even when feeding a diet relatively low in carotene (earthworms) I find that that by the time they are a few years old my Cynops species bellies are well on their way to being red.

shnabo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I feed them brine shrimp primarily, but received them after 2 had morphed. I will stick to the brine shrimp in hopes of seeing that beautiful shade of orange some day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1