Always swimming.

TALYN5129

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl recently started swimming all the time. She swims back and forth from side to side of the aquarium all day and night.
A couple months ago she ate two pieces of gravel. I immediately removed the gravel and replaced with sand. She still eats well and is pooping.
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Cl2 - 0
Hardness - 75
Carbonate - 80
pH - 7.2
Water temp 64° F
In a 20 gal aquarium

Attachments

• 20230805_212809.jpg
    20230805_212809.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 318
Hello!

I personally don’t think it’s a vet immediately problem. I think it’s either cause your axolotl is a very energetic kind… or she is stressed. Mostly my axolotls are only very active when they are hungry, so maybe try feeding her a few worms (1-3) more.

although strips are good for warning of problems or to just do a quick test they aren't very accurate also you have to purchase ammonia sticks separately.
please do a full water parameter test ie.. ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates using liquid tests for accuracy.
as it is your nitrites are good.
your nitrates being zero is a concern, how long has the tank been cycled? are there live plants in the tank?
your ph although above 7 is still low at 7.2 ideal is 7.4-7.6, low ph can effect the filtration as well as your axolotl.
both your kh and gh are low, kh at 80 is around 4° which is low but within ideal, ideal is 3°-8°, gh at 75 is around 4° which is low and bad, ideal is 7°-14°,
your temperature is within ideal temperature.
when young axolotls tend to do a lot of swimming around, this tends to reduce to walking as they get older.
swimming almost continuously can also be a sign of stress and a signal that there is a problem with the water conditions.
Urgent.. Do A Ammonia Test.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back