Ambystoma macrodactylum macrodactylum hatchlings help

Geckomamasita

Reaction score
Country
United States
I came in possession of quite a few eggs from a western long toed salamander through a crazy set of circumstances. One was walking into the store next to me and the cashier mistook her for a lizard and hit her a few times with a broom. Luckily my mother was in the store and called me over for a rescue. I held her overnight in an aquarium I set up before release to make sure she was alright. She apparently really enjoyed the set up because she released about 50 eggs. After doing some legal research and speaking to a few biologists, I found out I couldn't/shouldn't release the eggs (the mother was released). They hatched between Days 9-10. Currently we are sitting at Day 18 and from my count last night I have 29 individuals, at ~9 mm length. They are readily eating the baby brine shrimp I am hatching for them and I haven't seen or found any evidence of cannibalism yet. About a third of the eggs were bad and some of the young hatchlings just didn't make it past a day.

So, my questions-

When can I turn the filter back on? I had it running while they were still eggs and turned off when they would be hatching soon. I understand with the brine shrimp and them being so small that I shouldn't now. I do daily water changes prior to feeding with the siphon covered with cloth. I use water from an established tank mixed with fresh treated water in a 1:1 ratio to be on the safe side. I'm mostly looking for a ball park size of them to look for so that I can get water flowing again.

When can I switch to non-live foods? Although I do really enjoy raising these brine shrimp (I'm a developmental biology nerd), it is a pain for me to keep up. I purchased frozen daphnia and other cubes which was recommended by the LFS and I have a container of salamander pellets that were given to be in a box of fish foods. Would either of these be suitable soon and at what size should I begin using other foods?

When should I separate them? I have read that they can become cannibalistic so although I wish there were a lot fewer of them, I want to avoid this. I will be reaching out to the zoo, aquariums, universities, and F&W to rehome them. Along with a post on Craigslist for anyone interested (as free to only residents since it is illegal to sell/buy them in Oregon and they can't cross state lines). I definitely want to keep one or two for myself, but twenty nine salamanders is far too much for someone living in a small place!

Any tips or recommendations anyone can give me are much appreciated! I've had adult salamanders and I've raised fish from eggs, so this has been an educational although a stressing situation. I'm still a little bitter with that salamander for leaving me with the stress of taking care of her kids lol

You may be able to sell the larvae at some reptile/amphibian shows. They're pretty neat in my opinion! But unfortunately there aren't many options until they get a little bigger and you can feed cut up blackworms which are live food, but still far less maintenance than brine shrimp.

Mabye sell them in different amphibian forums classifieds?

You may be able to sell the larvae at some reptile/amphibian shows. They're pretty neat in my opinion! But unfortunately there aren't many options until they get a little bigger and you can feed cut up blackworms which are live food, but still far less maintenance than brine shrimp.

Bummer! So, I'm stuck with raising brine shrimp until then? I don't mind buying worms since my fridge already has worms in it for my lizards.

And as far as I understand under Oregon state law is that its illegal to sell them. If I am understanding that wrong then that would be great! It would be nice to get some sort of cash off of them, but I don't mind giving them away either.

As for the filter, with the water changes and all I don't think you need a filter. I don't have a filter in any of my 20+ tanks and my newts do great. I do water changes every three weeks and I also never even test the water.

How big are they? I've had great success with chopped blackworms and alternate with small daphnia and/or bbs. They grow much quicker when you switch to chopped blackworms.

Funny you posted here, i actually saw your original post on Instagram about this (i'm the guy who commented asking where you found it).

I wish i had seen this sooner, i actually just passed through Portland a few days ago and would have been happy to take a few off your hands.
I may be able to come down there again sometime this spring, and if they are still available i'd be very interested! I actually already have a setup waiting for some A. macrodactylum but have failed to find any to fill it.

I'll send you a PM :happy:

Funny you posted here, i actually saw your original post on Instagram about this (i'm the guy who commented asking where you found it).

I wish i had seen this sooner, i actually just passed through Portland a few days ago and would have been happy to take a few off your hands.
I may be able to come down there again sometime this spring, and if they are still available i'd be very interested! I actually already have a setup waiting for some A. macrodactylum but have failed to find any to fill it.

I'll send you a PM :happy:

Oh bummer you couldn't pick up some! I actually talked to F&W and I will be surrendering most of them. I'll hold back probably five or six to make sure I get one good healthy adult and the rest will either go to whoever contacts me or I will take them to F&W.

Side note- F&W are super helpful and positive about the whole situation. They will be releasing them back into the wild after some time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back