Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma macrodcatylum care

Axel01

Reaction score
I have a chance at getting a pair of Long toes.

What is the best way of looking after them, please?

I'd love to be able to encourage them to breed.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In terms of care, they just need "basic" terrestrial salamander care. From your past posts, it looks like you already have some experience with this.

It's going to be difficult to find information about breeding. The only information I've seen is Henk's old newsletters (you'll have to read through each of them, search for "macro"):
http://www.caudata.org/people/Henk/
and his caresheet (which you can translate from Dutch using babelfish, etc.):
http://groups.google.com/group/Urod...ekverslag-vedlobservaties-en-literatuurstudie

henk_wallays

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hai Jennifer, thank for kind links. In fact not all Ambystoma are that difficult to breed; I keep mine cold during the winter on land (close to freezing) and then confront them in the spring with cold water and higher air humidity by setting them over in a tank with waterpart a little land area, closed off with a full lid (high humidity). Even setting them over in water (not too deep) if need be. So far A. mavortium, maculatum, opacum and macrodactylum have been bred on some occasions in Europe and I hope to try next spring with A. laterale. And I thought there was even someone who bred A. annulatum too, but have no details of these however ...

I will see if I find the time to try and translate my Dutch A. macrodactylum article... ;-))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!