Ambystoma opacum - picky eaters

Nellie Newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two Ambystoma opacum who seem to be picky/reluctant eaters. I have offered pinhead crickets, but I have never seen them consume them, or show any interest, even when the crickets are right in front of them, or even on them. I have also not had any success getting them to eat earthworms (whole and chopped), and I have tried small mealworms, which they seemed interested in, but I'm not sure that they actually consumed them. The only food that I have actually observed them eat are wax worms. Your suggestions are most welcome!

Sorry this is a little late, but I thought I could share how I feed my opacum, who is very shy.

First I sift through the leaf litter and look under the cork bark pieces to find the salamander. Most of the time I find her this way, but sometime she digs into the dirt and is not easy to find. If I don't locate her with the casual looking, I don't go digging deeper as in my experience if I have to root her out, she won't eat. But if I do find her, I drop a wriggly piece of worm directly in front of her face, cover her back up with leaves, turn off the lights and walk away. After a half hour or so I check back to make sure the worm is gone and it always is. She is so shy she has never eaten in my presence in the 4 years I have had her, but has remained plump with this method. I also drop in wild wild caught potato bugs/ rolly pollies from my garden. I do think there is some risk to this, though - I don't use chemicals in my garden but I am sure my neighbors do, so I recently got a culture of isopods and as soon as I have a good size colony I will no longer use the wild caught ones.

And I have not tried this but want to - I have a really good culture of white worms right now and have noticed that they (the white worms) really like to hang out in decomposing leaves (for whatever reason, I topped off my white worm cultures with rotting leaves. The worms love them!) My plan is to separate some white worms into a container of just rotting leaves and let them multiply for a few weeks, and then place the whole culture, leaves and all, in the opacum habitat. I don't know how successful this will be but am curious so will try it anyway. I hope I end up with a wriggling ball of white worms, sans dirt!

Anyway, hope this helps and that your opacums are eating well for you!

HJ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back