Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystomid Storage Tub

M

mark

Ok, so plastic storage tubs arn't a new concept for housing salamanders but I haven't seen one of these yet. It's a storage box that's designed to roll under your bed (don't worry - I don't)and you can buy them in various sizes from most DIY stores, this one is 3ft by 1.5ft and comes complete with a tight fitting lid. Ambystomids don't require height as they're not the best climbers, so this option gives a large surface area without filling up your house. It's light enough to pick up or if you're lazy you can roll it using the wheels! The only modification I've made is to drill plenty of ventilation into the lid. There is about 4 inches of topsoil, some leaf litter and a covering of bark/logs. Add some slugs, worms and bugs and hey presto! They only cost about £5 (10$)
37108.jpg

37109.jpg

J

joan

Good ol' rubbermaid! I had one of these for quite some time, until I upgraded to a proper tank. It now houses my daphnia farm.

K

kim

Mark,

Ive just purchased some of these for that reason (other than to put my bed sheets in
happy.gif
) Not quite sure whats going to go in them yet.. I have some fuzhong larvae atm.. so when they get a bit bigger they may go in there...

H

heather

That is the same container I use for my tiger sal. Its nice because is easily slides under my aquarium stand that houses my adult C.p.

P

pamela

Very nice Mark! The wheels are convenient also. By the way, I love the color of your walls!

M

mark

LOL! Thanks Pam - that's a spare bedroom/salamader storage area. The room is mainly creamy coloured but with a purple section on the lower wall. it looks kinda bright in the pictures above! Must have been the flash. Just to prove it....

37222.jpg

P

pamela

That's great Mark--the sals get their own, nicely decorated room
happy.gif

W

william

i've got a pair of deeper ones for my opacum. they are very useful and so cheap compaired to a glass tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1