Ammonia and nitrates, but no nitrites? (Fishless Cycling)

honeydew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! So I’ve been trying to do a fishless cycle with my tank for a little over two weeks now. A few days ago the ammonia levels started dropping, but nitrites still weren’t budging from 0 ppm. After around 4 days of this I looked up what could be happening, and saw that some people’s cycles skipped straight to nitrates without showing nitrites. I tested nitrates and sure enough, there’s 20 ppm (I started at 0ppm.)

Is my tank cycled? I think I might add another dose of ammonia tonight to see how much it drops after 24 hrs. If it’s relevant, I used bottled bacteria a week after I first added the ammonia. Could that have caused the nitrite skip?

Thanks and would be happy for any insight!

honeydew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: I’ve been doing the 24-hr test and my ammonia barely budges, so I suppose I’m not cycled. Still no trace of nitrites either. Does anyone know what’s going on here?

Tye

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're still at the start.
You won't start to see nitrites until a large enough colony of ammonia eating bacteria take hold. It's normal to see small amounts of nitrate through the whole process.
When the ammonia eating bacteria are established you will see a sharp spike in nitrites and a complete lack of ammonia. Then that nitrite spike will vanish when the second set of colonizing bacteria establishes itself. Then you'll get the final reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 30-40ppm nitrate.
It can take a month or longer to fully cycle a tank, don't worry.

honeydew

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're still at the start.
You won't start to see nitrites until a large enough colony of ammonia eating bacteria take hold. It's normal to see small amounts of nitrate through the whole process.
When the ammonia eating bacteria are established you will see a sharp spike in nitrites and a complete lack of ammonia. Then that nitrite spike will vanish when the second set of colonizing bacteria establishes itself. Then you'll get the final reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 30-40ppm nitrate.
It can take a month or longer to fully cycle a tank, don't worry.
Thank you so much for your reply! I’m very paranoid about my axolotl’s safety so I’m definitely grateful to have more experienced users on here to learn from. I’ll just stay patient!

honeydew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! Just thought I’d leave an update- my tank is finally cycled!

In case any future readers are having the same problems as I had I thought I’d share what worked for me.
I had a sponge filter from the start, but I didn’t notice any progress until I set up an Aquaclear HOB filter and put in some used filter sponge from my LFS. Just a couple days after doing that, I began to get small nitrite readings, and then about a week after that ammonia began dropping quickly and nitrite readings climbed much higher. After a while of this (redosing ammonia up to 4ppm and waiting,) I finally got to the point two days ago where 4ppm of ammonia converted to nitrites then nitrates in 24 hr. Peepo is now happy in his much spacier home!

If anybody reading still has questions that I might be able to answer, then feel free to reply here or message me. Thanks so much to everyone who helped me out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
    Dougie: Where can I find a yellow western tiger +1